Zoo adds lemurs, aardvark and birds

The+Henry+Vilas+Zoo+traded+their+collection+of+chimpanzees+for+several+lemurs%2C+some+of+several+new+additions+to+the+year-round+facilities.+
Claire Larkins
The Henry Vilas Zoo traded their collection of chimpanzees for several lemurs, some of several new additions to the year-round facilities.

The Henry Vilas Zoo welcomed several new bird species, a family of ring-tailed lemurs and an aardvark to its menagerie in their public debut last weekend.

Deputy Zoo Director Jeff Halter said the lemurs in particular have already had an impact on zoo visitors.

“The lemurs are really cool and highly active and highly social and they look great there,” Halter said. “I love them and I’m so happy to have that species to share with the public. I always think it’s funny to walk through when the kids are all singing ‘you got to move it move it’ from that Madagascar movie.”

Halter said the lemurs are part of the Association of Zoos and Aquarium’s Ring-Tailed Lemur Species Survival Plan, a program run by the association to provide breeding and housing recommendations for zoos that are housing certain species.

Through the program, zoological institutions keep track of the genetics of animals in captivity and monitor their history, Halter said. He said members also meet to discuss breeding recommendations for the species. Zoos then typically loan animals to other zoos based on these recommendations, Halter said.

“I like to think of it kind of like online dating for animals, but more based on their genetics and less on their personalities, even though that is part of it,” he said.

Dane County Supervisor Chuck Ericson, District 13, a member of the county’s zoo committee, said he is especially interested in the zoo’s new aardvark. The aardvark is in temporary quarantine housing until it is ready to move to a more permanent zoo home, according to a Dane County statement.

Halter said the aardvark hails from a zoo in Omaha that was looking to downsize its collection. He said the aardvark’s personality makes it perfect for Henry Vilas, which actively seeks species that can be “teaching animals” for patrons.

“We were looking for animals that could make great education animals and [this aardvark] is very ‘handleable’,” Halter said. “Typically animals with mild temperaments tend to be better animals for education. Also, animals that have a good story to them.”

The zoo also added several new species of birds to its collection in the zoo’s Aviary Building, and all the new birds are also still in quarantine housing, according to the statement. The birds, which include a red-crested cardinal, red and yellow barbets, a yellow-rumped cacique and a red vented bul bul, can be viewed on a live video streaming on the zoo’s website, the statement said.

Erickson said the zoo often “circulates” animals in and out. He added the addition of new species is always a learning experience for zoo staff.