Love triangle leads to violent fight

A fight borne out of jealousy over a love interest ended in a woman’s arrest on charges of reckless endangerment following the altercation Saturday. 

Police arrested Zabrina Thompson-Smith, 40, for second-degree reckless endangerment for cutting one woman and hitting another with a car, according to the Madison Police Report. The fight reportedly took around 6:50 p.m. Saturday near North Walbridge Avenue.

According to the police report, the trouble began when Thompson-Smith and another woman realized they had a common male love interest and began arguing. The dispute quickly elevated from verbal to physical, according to police spokesperson Joel DeSpain.

“There was pushing and shoving that took place inside the apartment, then they took it outside, so to speak, and continued fighting,” DeSpain said.

The suspect then allegedly got into her SUV and drove it toward the others in the parking lot, including a 27-year-old woman who says she was struck but not seriously injured, the police report said. The third woman was not involved in the fighting, according to the report.

Although no critical injuries resulted from Thompson-Smith’s driving, the 43-year-old victim was allegedly cut at some point during the altercation, causing her to need “numerous stitches to close cuts to her torso, arm and wrist,” the report said.

“We didn’t find any weapons but we had a witness who told us that a knife was involved, and clearly the injuries were consistent with the use of some type of sharp instrument,” DeSpain said.

In regards to the dramatic nature of this case, DeSpain added he “does not see this happen every week” but these types of situations are often what spark such drastic behavior.

“Typically people will get into disputes regarding drugs or love triangles and oftentimes there is violence-associated,” DeSpain said.

From here, Thompson-Smith’s case will proceed to the district attorney’s office, where they will decide whether or not she will be prosecuted and charged with the crime.