Crime in Brief

Madison police said they plan to increase their presence throughout the city in response to an anticipated increase in crime associated with warmer weather. 

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said violent and disruptive behavior tends to be more frequent in the downtown area during the warmer months of the year as people spend more time outside when it warms up.

As seen with criminal activity on Friday, DeSpain explained the 600 block of University Avenue and State Street are two specific areas where police see an increase in the number of issues.

“A lot of people congregate in that area who are not going into bars,” DeSpain said. “Last year there were people who were showing intimidating behavior towards other people going into the area.”

DeSpain said it is standard protocol for MPD to prepare for this trend.

During this time of year, MPD employs a high-visibility effort downtown to combat this uptick in incidents, according to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8. MPD deploys additional officers to the area in the evenings Thursday through Saturday, he said.

“They put more officers in the street for people to see,” Resnick said. “From what I’ve seen, it is highly effective.”

DeSpain said the efforts are designed to show violent and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Disturbance: University Avenue

Police arrested a Madison man exhibiting disruptive behavior in the downtown area early Friday morning.

Julius Gavins, 21, was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest outside a bar on the 600 block of University Avenue at 2:08 a.m., according to a MPD statement. The suspect was yelling obscenities and pushing people in the crowd outside the bar, the statement said.

Staff at the bar told police Gavins also caused a disturbance inside the bar as well, the statement said. The suspect reportedly tried to fight several patrons and caused trouble with staff members.

Several bystanders were filming the incident and police suspect Gavins may have engaged with the crowd for attention from the cameras, the statement said.

Robbery: State Street

A Madison man was arrested after robbing a student on the 100 block of State Street Friday.

Guillermo Martinez, 20, grabbed a Chicago Bulls hat from a 15-year-old student on a field trip on State Street at 12:37 p.m., according to an MPD statement. The suspect fought with the student and two police officers before police gained control of him, the statement said.

Martinez punched the victim in the face after he tried to get his hat back from the suspect, the statement said. A witness then saw the suspect go into Madison Area Technical College and told police, the statement said.

Martinez also punched two officers in the face after they attempted to arrest him inside the building and the officers used a taser to gain control of the suspect, the statement said.

The suspect is charged with robbery, physical abuse to a child, criminal damage to property, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and two counts of battery to a police officer, the statement said.