City alder candidates eye primary

Candidates will face off in Tuesday’s primary race in hopes of moving onto the aldermanic general election on April 2 and gaining a seat on Madison’s City Council.

So far in the race, the downtown-area candidates have run their campaigns primarily on development, environmental issues, economic growth and providing a new voice for the community they hope to represent. 

The District 2 race currently has three candidates: Bryan Post, Dennis Amadeus DeNure and Ledell Zellers. Incumbent Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, will not be seeking re-election. In District 13, incumbent Ald. Sue Ellingson is seeking re-election. Her challengers are Zach Madden and Damon Terrell.

The Badger Herald spoke with the candidates about the issues facing their districts, the city of Madison and their goals for reform if elected into office. This content has been edited for length and clarity.

Bryan Post, District 2

The Badger Herald: Why do you want to be alder? 

Bryan Post: I want to help the city of Madison continue to move forward in a progressive and balanced way. I want to continue to grow the city in an environmentally friendly, forward-thinking way.

BH: What do you want to accomplish in the next two years?

BP: The first priority is redoing Johnson Street in 2014 and making sure it is an environmental success and the business district is as vibrant as we can make it. This is a district that is growing. Development is the most important issue to me. If the district grows then the tax base grows and the city can provide stronger services.

BH: What is your favorite place in Madison? 

BP: The State Capitol building. It is a priceless gem and the tours are great. 

Ledell Zellers, District 2

BH: Why do you want to be an alder? 

Ledell Zellers: I love these neighborhoods because we can live more sustainably-walking, biking and catching the bus to get places. I want these areas to be successful. I am interested in what makes a city work, what makes a city successful.

BH: What do you want to accomplish as alder?

LZ: I want these neighborhoods to continue to be wonderful places to live so that all kinds of options really thrive-co-ops, rentals, owner-occupied houses, Greek life. I want schools that people feel comfortable sending their kids to, fantastic parks and good development.

BH: What is your favorite place in Madison? 

LZ: I love the farmers’ market, the Capitol and State Street- It is why we moved within walking distance of things like that.

Dennis Amadeus deNure, District 2

BH: Why do you want to be an alder? 

Dennis Amadeus deNure: I just want to promote the museums. My platform is the Madison Museum Mile. Museums do not just preserve history but they celebrate the history this community has.

BH: What museums do you want to advocate for? 

DAD: Madison does not have its own historical museum; I would like to see that happen. There are big museum ideas out there such as an official agriculture or dairy museum. There are also ideas for an inter-tribal museum for Native Americans of Wisconsin and a Trek bicycle museum.

DAD: Capitol Square. I love feeding the squirrels and sparrows. I am a big bird lover.

Sue Ellingson, District 13

BH: Why do you want to be alder? 

Sue Ellingson: I like being able to help people solve problems. You can make a difference in peoples lives- that is rewarding.

SE: I want to revitalize the Greenbush area. There are some pretty worn-down houses, and I want to bring those back up to standard. There is a lot of pedestrian and bike safety issues in my district. It is especially important because we live close-in and people want walkable neighborhoods.

SE: The boardwalk behind Edgewood College along the shore of Lake Wingra. It is like you are in the wilderness even though you are in the middle of Madison.

Zach Madden, District 13

BH: Why do you want to be alder? 

Zach Madden: I have been the president of the College Democrats at Edgewood College since my freshman year. I wake up every day thinking, “What can we do to make it better?” If we do not get serious about some environmental issues, we might lose some of the great things we have in Madison. I want to make sure they are here for generations to come.

ZM: Environmentally, I want to focus specifically on lakes, green infrastructure, storm drains and rain garden terraces. I also want to work on enforcing city ordinances on construction sites so runoff is not going directly into the bay. Lakes are a huge part of what makes Madison Madison, and we just cannot afford to lose that. The city needs to be more innovative. Another issue is safety-making sure we enforce our building codes so we have a safe environment.

ZM: Lake Wingra, I especially like to kayak and canoe.

Damon Terrell, District 13

BH: Why do you want to be alder? 

Damon Terrell: I have been doing a lot of community organizing. I am passionate about community. I grew up in Madison and I want to make sure the values of the community are represented on City Council passionately and forcefully so the focus returns to building the community. 

DT: I want to make sure folks are represented. I will advocate for a regional transit authority and more community gardens. I want to make sure the transportation system continues to be as comprehensive as it can be.

DT: Brittingham Park-it is right by the Arboretum.