State Street ‘looked at me the wrong way’ fight leads to battery arrest

Madison’s Police Department arrested a 22-year-old Madison man on State Street late Wednesday night, after the suspect allegedly engaged in a fight with another city resident, according to an MPD report.

Timothy McLeod first encountered the victim, a 54-year-old Madison man, on a Madison Metro bus, according to the report. The two engaged in an argument after McLeod accused the victim of “looking at him the wrong way,” the report said.

Based on the victim’s statement he did nothing to provoke the suspect, but the suspect chose to pick a fight with him, according to MPD Spokesperson Joel DeSpain.

The men exited the bus at two different stops in the downtown area but encountered each other later on the 300 block of State Street, the report said.

McLeod allegedly pushed the victim down and punched him multiple times in the head, although DeSpain said he was not significantly injured.

After flagging down the police, the victim was able to identify McLeod as his attacker, the report said.

DeSpain explained it was clear McLeod was intoxicated when police arrested him.

“Having people battered when alcohol is involved is not unusual downtown,” DeSpain said.

However, having a suspect pick a fight with a victim was an unusual occurrence, DeSpain added. According to the report, McLeod claimed to have picked a fight with the victim because he believed the victim was trying to rob people.

The District Attorney charged McLeod with one count of misdemeanor battery on Thursday.