Woman found dead in home, homicide may be the cause

The Madison Police Department is investigating a possible homicide after finding a Madison woman dead in her home on the far-east side early Thursday morning, according to a MPD statement.

The woman was found in her apartment on the 6800 block of Milwaukee Street, the statement said. Police believe homicide is a possibility due to signs of forced entry, it said.

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, the perpetrator entered through a smashed-in patio window on the first floor.

“It appears that it was possible that the victim might have been targeted,” Verveer said. “A burglar would not normally break a large patio window.”

While the name of the victim has not been released at this time, MPD believes the woman was in her 30’s, according to the statement.

The statement said this is the first homicide in the city this year.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said homicides are particularly rare in Madison. Nothing has been released stating the incident involves any University of Wisconsin students, he said.

It is particularly unfortunate Madison has already experienced its first homicide only a few weeks into the year, Verveer said. He cited the early occurrence as a potential cause for concern.

“I hope that this is not a foretelling of it being a bad year [for homicides],” Verveer said.

Further details of the incident have not yet been released.

MPD declined to comment.