Arrest made at KK, man jailed for battery on Park Street

KK_JB
A man was arrested outside the Kollege Klub in the early hours of Wednesday morning for causing a disturbance, according to police. The man allegedly made several threats and hit two employees.[/media-credit]

LAKE STREET: Battery

A 22-year-old man was arrested at the Kollege Klub early Wednesday morning for causing a disturbance at the bar, according to a Madison Police Department report.

Andrew Lochmann was taken into police custody at 1:22 a.m. after he allegedly made several threatening statements and hit two Kollege Klub employees, the statement said.

MPD Lt. Cory Nelson described Lochmann as an “out of control bar patron.” According to the statement, Lochmann had allegedly been shouting obscenities and stomping and dancing around the bar when he was approached by Kollege Klub staff members.

The statement said Lochmann made several “bizarre” statements and death threats to MPD officers and bar employees.

According to the statement, bouncers were attempting to control Lochmann when he allegedly punched the two employees in the head.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said there are times where violence does occur inside bars and alcohol is often a contributing factor.

“In general, we have not seen many issues at the Kollege Klub,” Resnick said. “In this case, the police were able to respond appropriately.”

While the incident occurred near the University of Wisconsin campus, Resnick said it is rare incidents like this involve UW students. Lochmann is not a UW student.

Lochmann was charged with battery, disorderly conduct and possession of drug paraphernalia, Nelson said.

SOUTH PARK STREET: Battery

A 33-year-old Madison resident is in police custody after allegedly injuring six people at Meriter Hospital, including a police officer, according to an MPD statement.

The statement described the incident as a “melee” in which the suspect, Jason Bender, attacked two Meriter security guards, two Meriter nurses, a social worker and a police officer.

The incident began after Bender left Meriter Hospital against medical advice, according to the statement. Bender was recently admitted to the hospital for undisclosed reasons, the statement said.

According to the statement, after leaving the hospital, Bender returned to his car, consumed alcohol and allegedly returned to the hospital with a three-foot tall, heavy pole.

Bender created a disturbance and started “striking counters,” the statement said.

After Meriter security responded, Bender allegedly attacked two of them with the metal pole, the statement said. In the ensuing struggle, Bender reportedly bit one of the security guards in the head, breaking the skin.

Even after forcing Bender to the ground and handcuffing him, security still experienced resistance from the suspect, the statement said. During the struggle, Bender allegedly kicked one of the nurses in the stomach.

Nelson said police assistance was required to secure the suspect and resolve the issue after Meriter staff and security made several attempts to gain control of Bender.

Additionally, Bender allegedly bit one of the police officers. The officers eventually managed to arrest Bender, and he was taken to Dane County Jail, the statement said.

According to Nelson, all victims sustained minor injuries.

Bender is charged with multiple counts of battery, battery to a police officer and disorderly conduct, Nelson said.