Fight outside Osaka Bar leads to arrest

A fight at a bar on the 500 block of State Street resulted in one arrest and two citations Sunday morning, according to Madison police.

According to a MPD statement, the fight occurred at 1:33 a.m. at Osaka Bar. The suspects are all male, age 21 and from Madison.

According to the statement, the police made one arrest for battery and disorderly conduct, while they issued two citations were for disorderly conduct. The statement said police responded after citizens reported seeing men fighting outside.

“The disturbance began between the arrested suspect and a woman in the bar,” MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

According to the statement, the suspect is accused of punching several employees.

DeSpain said people were trying to get the suspect out of the bar after the melee when more punches were thrown. He said a few of the main suspect’s friends got involved when the fight ended up outside on the street.

“The fight was over when police got there,” DeSpain said.

The statement said the bar manager closed the nightclub after the incident.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he requested Osaka Bar be included in the Alcohol License Review Committee walk-along tour which took place Friday night.

Last summer, Verveer separated Osaka’s license renewal for ALRC consideration due to concerns he heard from neighbors regarding noise complaint. He said this incident occurred just 24 hours after ALRC toured the restaurant and nightclub.

Verveer also said Osaka tends to attract people that have been engaged in fights.

“This isn’t the only fight that has occurred at Osaka over the last year,” Verveer said.

Verveer said he plans on asking police if they find it appropriate to have a conversation with management, and he said he will reach out to management himself to talk about the incident.