Surveillance video reveals two additional Ball attack suspects

Video from surveillance cameras downtown released yesterday revealed two more possible suspects connected to the Montee Ball attack in early August.

According to Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain, MPD knew five people attacked Ball after it happened. He said police were able to arrest and identify three people with pictures shortly after but could not identify the other two suspects until now.

DeSpain said one of the new pictures shows a suspect inside the Saxony apartments and the other shows a suspect on State Street near Peace Park.

Surveillance cameras have significantly helped MPD detect crimes in the downtown area, according to DeSpain.

“They’ve been extraordinary helpful and useful and so much so that we are looking to put up more surveillance cameras,” DeSpain said.

He said considering one photo of a suspect is inside an apartment building, surveillance cameras owned by private businesses and residential areas have been useful in addition to others owned by the city.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said surveillance cameras have helped greatly in incidents such as the attack on Ball and the shooting on University Avenue during graduation weekend last spring. He said it is a valuable source to help catch suspects uncooperative under law enforcement.

“It’s very difficult to deny you’re at a location when you’re on camera,” Resnick said.

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, no cameras were present at the actual location Ball was attacked. He said had these new cameras been installed last summer, the entire attack would have been filmed similar to the shooting last spring.

Resnick said he and Verveer proposed a budget amendment that would add around 30 new cameras downtown, primarily along Langdon Street, West Washington Avenue and Regent Park, and would cost the city $100,000. He said it was passed by the Board of Estimates and will be up for final approval by the City Council in November.

Verveer said if the City Council passes the amendment, cameras will be installed downtown by spring 2013.

The three University of Wisconsin students, who were charged with a felony of substantial battery in the attack, have all been released from jail on bail and are awaiting further court proceedings, Verveer said.

He added if anyone has information or tips to identify the suspect that leads to their arrest, they are eligible for a Madison Crime Stoppers cash reward of potentially $1,000.