Neighborhood considers N. Bedford development

Plans to build a new residential development and tear down a single-family house  in the Mifflin neighborhood pushed ahead at a neighborhood meeting Thursday.

A new complex at 125 N. Bedford St. will be put in after the demolition of the 150-year-old house that currently sits there as early as January 2013.

“I think this is what the Mifflin neighborhood needs,” Todd Meinholz, the house’s property owner, said. “It provides high value to the student population.”

The current house has four bedrooms, one and a half bathrooms and a five-foot high basement. Meinholz made the proposal for the new building and said the four students currently residing at the house are in favor of the changes. He said they will have a temporary place to stay during the renovation and are looking to rent a unit in the new building.

Dave Herch, the architect for the new building, said it would be a long and skinny four-story residential complex designed for student living and would contain eight apartment units and a total of 23 bedrooms. He said the plan includes five moped and 24 covered bike stalls and no vehicle parking, conforming to the city standard.

Herch said he designed the complex to blend in with the rest of the neighborhood in order to preserve the neighborhood’s original appearance.
Most units would contain three bedrooms and nine-foot high ceilings allowing for more room, Herch said. 

The building would not have an elevator but would have built-in heating and air-conditioning as well as a handicapped entrance, Herch said.

Meinholz  asked surrounding houses if they would consider selling, but they did not express interest. He said if they had, the new building could be expanded on those lots as well so the building would not be as narrow, which he said City Council would prefer.

Scott Kohler, chair of the Steering Committee from the Downtown Neighborhood Association, said the neighborhood statement of approval is prepared and is supported by the neighborhood.

If approved, the construction of the new building would begin in January or February 2013 and be completed in August 2013 in time for Aug. 15 occupancy. He said each bedroom is estimated to cost $600 per month, not including utilities.

The downtown plan and recent rezoning of the city have allowed for this renovation to occur, Ald. Mike Vereer, District 4, said. He said approval of the proposal would encourage further renovation in the Mifflin area, as City Council is looking to build four- to six-story buildings in the area.

“The city has decided they would like more density in this [Mifflin] neighborhood,” Meinholz said. “It’s a great place to live. It wasn’t that long ago I was living here in the neighborhood.”

According to Verveer, the biggest concern involves changing the face of the neighborhood with the addition of new buildings.

The plan will be submitted for approval by the Urban Design Commission, Plan Commission and City Council. Meinholz’s next meeting will be with Plan Commission Oct. 15.