New tea bar expands from Minnesota to State Street

steepery_AF
Patrons of the Steepery Tea Bar relax on couches at the new location which opened yesterday. The business is located at 430 State Street.[/media-credit]

A new franchise tea bar with more than five established locations has expanded to Wisconsin, opening its first location outside Minnesota. 

Located on 430 State St. where Taste of Tibet used to be, Steepery Tea Bar was destined to move outside Minnesota, CEO Nick Nguyen said. He said he always had the intention of expanding and that Madison was the next logical choice to open up another location.

Nguyen said the vibe of State Street and the abundance of students and young professionals on campus provides the ideal customer base for the business. He added that Steepery is a family-oriented business and welcomes customers of all ages.

Steepery offers 50 varieties of loose leaf tea, most of which are organically certified, Nguyen said. In addition, he said Steepery specializes in a dessert drink called bubble tea, which combines tea with a variety of fruit-flavored jellies, flavors and tapioca pearls.

“We have a huge menu where there is something for everyone,” Nguyen said. “Customers can customize their drink in a unique variety of ways.”

Nguyen said Steepery provides an atmosphere for students and young professionals to study, relax or hang out on the weekends as an alternative to bars. He added the feel of Steepery is different than the feel of other tea shops around the area.

“We want Steepery to be a place where the music isn’t too loud so you can get work done, but also a place where you feel like you can hang out with a group of friends,” Nguyen said. “Tea doesn’t have to be a meditative experience – it can be customizable and fun.”

Nguyen said the experience of drinking tea can provide benefits coffee may not provide, like allowing students to be mentally alert without going through the traditional buzz and crash from coffee. He said even decaf tea can provide mental stimulation, while having a relaxing effect.

University of Wisconsin student Erin Lord was at the opening of Steepery Monday afternoon. She said she bought an iced green tea, flavored with mango and honey with tapioca pearls.

“It’s a really delicious, low calorie drink,” Lord said. “I would definitely come back here again.”

Nguyen also said Steepery is part of the Belly card reward system, and students can sign up for one for free and use their card at the tea bar to redeem points for notifications about future coupons and free drinks.

Lord said she signed up for the Belly rewards program at Steepery, as well as downloaded the application on her iPhone. She added she thought Steepery would do well to have a grand opening banner in their front window, so students knew they were in business.

Nguyen said Steepery will hand out free samples of its specialty teas to students over the next couple of weeks. He added that they will provide specials and discounts to students in the near future as well.

“I want people to come in, give us a chance and see what we’re all about,” Nguyen said.

Nguyen said Steepery will be open from 9 a.m. until 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 9 a.m. until 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday.