Two injured in downtown house party

In the most recent incident in a series of crimes in the downtown and campus area, two men were beaten early Sunday morning after attempting to aid a woman who was being assaulted, according to Madison Police.

A MPD report said the incident occurred at a house party on the 600 block of East Johnson Street. The assault reportedly took place around 12:30 a.m.

According to the statement, the victims, aged 19 and 20, were taken to a hospital with brain injuries.
The 19-year-old victim said he was knocked unconscious after he attempted to help a woman who he thought was being physically assaulted, the statement said.

“The blow knocked him down, and the next thing he saw was a boot coming toward his face,” MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

The second victim attempted to intervene after he was jumped by approximately four other men, the statement said.

DeSpain said when police arrived at the scene, the woman was nowhere to be found, and the suspects had already had fled the scene.

According to the statement, witnesses said there were several underage people in attendance.
“One officer noted that many possible witnesses were not completely cooperative or forthcoming with information that could aid in the investigation,” the statement read.

Extra precautions have recently been issued by the city of Madison and MPD to ensure the safety of citizens and students in response to the increase in downtown area crime.

Earlier this summer, the City Council voted to add $50,000 for police overtime funds. Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said police have implemented different policing strategies in the downtown area, including utilizing gang officers who can help students become more aware of who is downtown and how to be safe.

More MPD officers have been patrolling the downtown area Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m., he added.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the increase in crime is a main reason why he supported the allowance of cabs to cruise State Street at the Transit and Parking Commission meeting Wednesday.

“With SAFEcab now ending and SAFEbus being cutback, there are fewer and fewer options for students to get home safely at an affordable price,” he said.