Southside project highlights overlooked recreation

Students hoping to forge a bridge between the South Madison community and the University of Wisconsin campus have created and overseen a project to increase awareness and accessibility to restaurants in the area.

The mission of Savor South Madison, a project launched by UW students enrolled in a School of Journalism and Mass Communication service learning course, is to use modern communication technology to promote local food establishments and related events.

UW journalism professor Young Mie Kim said students used class time to plan for the project and to conduct research about communities within the South Madison area. She added several hours were spent outside of the class doing fieldwork to meet with and interview residents of the communities.

Kim said the project provided an opportunity to educate students about the greater Madison area.

“There’s definitely some misperception of the crimes in the South Madison area. I think this is a good way to correct the misperception and increase the awareness,” Kim said. “South Madison residents really like this project because they don’t feel isolated from the rest of Madison.”

UW senior Anna Bukowski said while working on the project this semester, students were able to use technology to facilitate social change and to increase awareness of the South Madison area.

She added she hopes to urge students to “break out of their bubble” on campus and try new things in other areas of the city.

UW journalism professor Shawnika Hull said this project connects students with businesses owners, which has proven to be an extraordinarily valuable skill in the workforce.

The class created a website titled “Savor South Madison” and integrated social media by coming up with a scavenger hunt through Twitter and Facebook. They also provided a map on the website with a suggested bus route so students can find an easy way to travel to the area.

The website contains links to interviews of local business owners from the South Madison area that share their individual stories.

Students worked closely with the South Metropolitan Planning Council during their time with the project. John Quinlan, SMPC executive director, said the work and dedication offered by students in the class has laid the foundation for upcoming classes to move this project forward.

He also offered suggestions on how to advance Savor South Madison.

“The key thing we need to do is to more fully engage the community and share their experience with the restaurants,” Quinlan said. “There is a potential to go beyond restaurants, such as bringing in fresh food coming from the farmers’ market and cooking classes.”

Quinlan said he hoped Madison citizens will think of South Madison as an area that offers unique restaurants, similarly to the way they think of Willy Street.

Students in the class hope to hold co-sponsored events, skill training workshops and organized cooking lessons within the community in the near future.

“It’s opened up new possibilities and changed attitudes in terms of students and the people in South Madison,” Quinlan said. “It’s showed them new ways to enjoy food together.”