Registered parties could shape Mifflin

Mifflin_MMfile
Students who live on Mifflin Street or in the surrounding areas could be given the option of registering their block party event with MPD. Registered parties will not be allowed to sell liquor or have attendees under 21-years-old., but hosts can call MPD for assistance in clearing out unwanted guests.[/media-credit]

In a move to provide a safer atmosphere at the 2012 Mifflin Street Block Party, students working with Madison officials have proposed an idea that would allow Mifflin Street house parties to gain a higher degree of legitimacy with city police.

Edgewood College student and Mifflin Street resident Michael Stulka suggested at a recent Mifflin Street Block Party meeting that house parties be registered with Madison Police Department. Stulka said the move would promote a student focus on policing the event themselves.

Under Stulka’s registration idea, MPD would provide assistance to the registered house party should it get out of control. Officers would also post signs reading, “No trespassing – registered house party” at the residence.

In return, residents would sign a contract outlining stipulations for the party, including no guests under the age of 21, no sale of alcohol and maintaining house capacity, which is typically 50 people per house for Mifflin Street residences, according to MPD Lt. Dave McCaw.

McCaw said Mifflin Street residents finding that their party has grown out of control can call MPD for assistance with minimal or no repercussions for the hosts.

Stulka said the registration proposal is one example of the legitimate solutions reached by the Mifflin Street Block Party committee, comprised of both city officials and students.

“The committee is working hard to make the event as safe as possible and [to make sure] it [can] continue,” Stulka said. “Given the cards that we were dealt with … we’re trying to do the best that we possibly can.”

McCaw said Stulka’s idea would also initiate a conversation between Mifflin Street residents and MPD officers to promote safety, a top priority for this year’s event after multiple stabbings and record arrests at the 2012 party.

“What we’re doing is providing a personal service,” McCaw said. “The truth is that every year at Mifflin, I’m on the street looking for the people who come down here to disrupt it, but with 10,000 people there, it’s hard for me to find them. With the registration, I’m not longer fishing for them. The parties are finding them for me and calling me to deal with it.”

House party registration requests will also be extended to streets neighboring Mifflin Street, including Bassett, Broom, West Washington and Dayton Streets, Stulka said.

The idea has garnered broad support from both city officials and MPD officers, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

“It’s pretty exciting,” Verveer said. “It’s probably the most tangible tool thus far coming out of the planning process students have been involved in with the city.”

Verveer added in a message to The Badger Herald MPD is expected to finalize and implement the registration proposal in the next several days.

In the coming weeks, MPD officers will visit Mifflin Street residences to propose the house party registration idea. Verveer said although the registration would eliminate several headaches for party hosts, residents choosing not to enter into the contract would not face penalties.

“There is no requirement or intent to make the agreement compulsory whatsoever, but the reality is that residents will find that they have more of an easy-going block party if they are on the same page as the cops,” Verveer said. “It will allow for residents to hopefully have relatively problem-free parties.”