City overhauls majority of fire station proposal

A proposal for a mixed-use residential and retail site in downtown Madison will likely not include extensive facilities for the Madison Fire Department, as had been considered in the past.

In original discussions for the project, there had been hopes for MFD to fit office, residential and station space into the proposal. After a Thursday meeting, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said it appears less definite.

City officials along with development company Hovde Properties held a meeting Thursday evening to gain community feedback on their proposal for a development at 309 W. Johnson St., still in its very early stages.

Mike Slavish of Hovde Properties said Mayor Paul Soglin had expressed previously to Hovde his desire to have at the very least MFD’s administration offices in the developments for the proposed space.

“I believe we’ve come full circle now,” Slavish said. “We’re leaving Station No. 1 right where it’s at but looking at whether we can incorporate the administration building into that site.”

Previously, the mayor had discussed with Hovde and MFD potentially moving not only administrative offices into the Hovde development, but also fire station space and residential units for firefighters and their families.

Funding had been considered an issue before in discussions with Hovde, MFD and the mayor. Slavish said at the meeting including MFD in the proposal would cost about $35-40 million, which the city would have to fund part of.

Hovde’s proposal currently includes between 175 and 225 workforce apartments, 10,000 to 15,000 square feet of retail space, 200 to 250 parking spaces and MFD administrative offices in 22,000 to 25,000 square feet of the building.

Slavish said Hovde would like to see the plan approved by the Madison City Council by the end of 2012 for construction to start in early 2013 and be ready for occupancy in summer of 2014.

Capitol Neighborhoods, Inc. member Scott Kolar expressed his concern over MFD’s lessened involvement in the development.

“In talking with the city, [the proposal] did not include Fire Station No. 1,” Kolar said. “What happened to replacing Fire Station No. 1 within the next decade”?

Davis had previously brought up concerns over Station No. 1’s current state and the fact that it would need to be renovated within the next 10 years. Among things to be fixed are the roof, heating and air conditioning and changing the setup of women firefighters’ dormitories to provide more privacy.

Kolar also mentioned vehicle and pedestrian traffic as issues that would arise at the parking and service entrance. Slavish said Dayton Street would not be closed off during construction.

Davis said this would not pose a problem for MFD trying to drive through the area, as contractors constantly update them about closed roads during development near stations.

Verveer said in an interview with The Badger Herald he did not anticipate the proposal without the fire station going forward.

“All of this is subject to change, but this is certainly breaking news that Hovde Properties and the city look like as of tonight, Fire Station No. 1 will not be included,” Verveer said.