With Voter ID law halted, ID not necessary for April election

As absentee ballot voting for the April 3 elections begins, Madison officials are reminding its voters they are not required to provide photo identification due to two injunctions on the photo ID law.

According to Madison City Clerk Maribeth Witzel-Behl, voters requesting an absentee ballot will not be required to provide a photo ID, even if injunctions by Dane County Judges Richard Niess and David Flanagan that have halted the law’s enforcement are lifted before any future election.

She added voters requesting the ballots while the injunctions are in place will not be asked to provide a photo ID later if the election corresponding to their ballot takes place after the injunctions have been lifted.

“If they’ve requested [the absentee ballot] with the injunction in place, anything that changes, including a lift of the injunctions, is not going to change our ability to honor that request,” Witzel-Behl said. “They followed the law at the time they submitted the request, and we will honor their request based on that law.”

Government Accountability Board spokesperson Reid Magney confirmed that absentee voters will not be required to show identification if they requested a ballot while the injunction is still in place.

“At the time they made the request, the law essentially didn’t exist,” Magney said.

Witzel-Behl said voters can submit requests for an absentee ballot until March 29 at 4 p.m. Requests are accepted either in person at the city clerk’s office or in writing.

Under the new law, absentee ballots must be sent to the clerk’s office before or the day of the election, and the office must receive the ballot by the Friday after the election at 4 p.m., Witzel-Behl said.

Witzel-Behl stressed that other aspects of the law are still in place, including the requirement to provide proof of residence at the polls. Utility bills, bank statements and other government-issued documents that state a voter’s address will be accepted.

Other stipulations that have not been stymied by the law include the requirement that voters reside at their residence 28 days prior to the election. Voters must also sign a poll book upon casting their vote.

The April 3 election, which includes the Republican presidential primary and various other local elections, is the first election to take place under the injunction of the voter ID law.