Mifflin themes introduced to show students’ responsibility, active roles

mifflin_MH
Legislative Affairs Chair Hannah Somers asks students to take an active role in planning the Mifflin Street Block Party this year. She said a theme would give a positive image to sponsors, but wouldn’t affect the event.[/media-credit]

University of Wisconsin students hosted an informational meeting Tuesday to generate theme ideas for the Mifflin Street Block Party, addressing concerns that the party is not community-friendly.

Members of the Associated Students of Madison said conversations with Mayor Paul Soglin and other city officials have resulted in the agreement that a theme would promote more community involvement and discourage the party’s drinking culture.

ASM Legislative Affairs representative Maria Giannopoulos said a theme would also demonstrate to the city that students are actively involved in making the block party a safer event.

“The theme demonstrates a responsibility we have as students, and it makes sure we can ensure the future of Mifflin,” Giannopoulos said. “It shows we have a vested interest, and that we’ve been thinking about these things very carefully.”

ASM members suggested several theme options previously discussed with city officials, including “I Am Mifflin,” “It’s Our Mifflin” and “A Madison Mifflin.”

Legislative Affairs Chair Hannah Somers said the theme would create a positive light for potential sponsors of the event, but she asserted it would largely not affect the experience of Mifflin party goers.

“Something that’s important to keep in mind is this theme is going to have little impact on your Mifflin experience,” Somers said. “It’s not like you’re going to go to the Mifflin party and be bombarded by it, and it’s not going to do anything to change what the experience is for you. It’s more about sending a positive message.”

Students discussed other strategies to create a more community-based atmosphere for the Mifflin Street Block Party, including the incorporation of contests and games into the event.

A sponsor has not yet been chosen for the party, but students and city officials have considered All Star Catering, a business located in Hudson, according to Legislative Affairs Rep. Jacob Miller. The business has been associated with the party in the past and would have an understanding of standard protocols and procedures, he added.

Legislative Affairs representative Devon Mayer said the search for a sponsor would involve giving more attention to safety issues, in light of last year’s stabbing incidents at the party.

“Our main concern … is finding a viable sponsor who will respect what we’re trying to get accomplished with respect to safety issues,” Mayer said.

The event was co-sponsored last year by both Majestic Entertainment and Capital Neighborhoods, Inc.

A major change to this year’s Mifflin Street Block Party will be the restriction of open alcohol containers in the street, which was permitted for the first time last year, Miller said.

Giannopoulos also said despite concerns that visiting students would be turned away from the event, city officials have decided not to impose restrictions for entry onto Mifflin Street.

“We’re not restricting anyone from entering,” Giannopoulos said. “It’s not just solely for UW students, it’s everybody. We’re not blockading anything, putting up checkpoints or making anyone pay.”

Giannopoulos also stressed the importance of educating students on the importance of promoting safety at the 2012 party and its implications for the future of the event.

Mayer said ongoing conversations between students and city officials will continue to take place as the Mifflin Street Block Party looms closer.

“We’re going to continue to seek student input on what we’re doing and what we’re trying to accomplish,” Mayer said.

A meeting to further discussions on the Mifflin Street Block Party between students and city officials will take place March 22 at 7 p.m. at the Madison Senior Center.