Woman assaulted on University Ave

ally_MM

A 21-year-old woman was sexually assaulted in the 600 block of University Avenue early Saturday morning, according to a Madison Police Department report.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the assault occurred in Hawthorne Court, an alley off of University Avenue that runs between Johnny O’s and Bob’s Copy Shop.

The report said a man less than 30 years old forced the woman into the poorly lit area. The suspect left on foot and remains at large.

Verveer said the attack is being classified as a second or third degree sexual assault. He said although sexual assault is an important issue on campus and in the city, this type of attack is rarely seen on city streets.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he hopes to work with the police department in the coming days to ensure an appropriate response from MPD, as well as surrounding bar owners or staff to create an added safety net in the area.

“I’ll speak with the police department to determine whether the campus community should be concerned, or if these are isolated incidents,” he said.

Resnick said the mayor’s office and city staff walked the area around the 600 and 700 blocks of University Avenue last summer and fall to determine whether safety could be improved in the area. Improvements included assessing the effectiveness of lighting, physical structures and the area in general to determine how to make those particular blocks safer.

Verveer said poor lighting in the area might have contributed to the likelihood of the crime.

Additionally, he said it is unclear whether or not the victim was a University of Wisconsin student.

“This shocking crime, in my opinion, calls for the city to do everything we can to improve the lighting in [the area],” Verveer said.

Resnick said he will ask the mayor’s office to look back into the ideas for improvements to determine what changes need to be made.

UW Police Department Sgt. Brent Plisch said although these crimes occur more often than UWPD would like, crime rates in the city have recently gone down.

MPD Lt. Trevor Knight said it is very important that people be aware of their surroundings any time they are out, to walk with companions and stay close to them.

Knight said it is also a good idea to always have a cellphone to use if any issues arise.

“When it comes down to it, we need students to take care of each other as much as possible,” Plisch said.