Crime in brief

WHITE ASPEN ROAD

Homicide

The murder of a 38-year-old man on Feb. 3 marks the first homicide of the year, according to a report from the Madison Police Department.

According to the report, a man was shot and killed by his housemate after the two had a fight in their north side home. The suspect then drove away, presumed to be with his wife and child.

Ald. Anita Weier, District 18, said there was also a homicide in the area last October, and that it is worrisome to see two such incidents so close together.

“It would have been more frightening if it were out in public where other people could have gotten hurt,” Weier said.

LAKEVIEW AVENUE, MCFARLAND

Animal Complaint – Disturbance

A dog was shot at a residence after the Dane County Narcotics and Gang Task Force launched a raid into the dwelling and the animal presented a threat, an MPD report said.

According to the report, the dog was shot in the head and initially thought to be dead. After the incident, the animal was found to be still breathing and was taken to a veterinary clinic.

The details of the raid have not been released, and the current status of the dog is unknown, the report updates said.

WEST HIGH SCHOOL

Battery

A 16-year-old male West High School student was attacked outside of the school building on Feb. 1, according to a police report.

The victim was punched and kicked, suffering injuries to the face, the report said. Additionally, the report said one of the arrested people was also carrying a knife and had that charge added to his arrest.

Ald. Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, District 5, said in an email to The Badger Herald this type of incident is rare in the district, though there have been some incidents involving West High students in the past.

She said in the email that past incidents have been promptly dealt with since the school has an Education Resource Officer, an MPD officer assigned to the school.

According to the report, the two perpetrators, both 17-years-old, were arrested following the beating. The victim was acquainted with both of his attackers.

WELLS AVENUE

Weapons Violation

Madison Police were called to the east side after two men sustained non-life-threatening injuries from gunshots Feb. 1, an MPD report said.

According to the report, the suspect appeared to have targeted one victim, 46, while the other victim, 35, seemed to have been shot after witnessing a dispute between the suspect and the first victim.

The report said the 46-year-old victim’s dog was also present and apparently bit the suspect several times, after which shots were fired.

The suspect ran off after the shooting, and MPD was unsuccessful in attempting to track him, the report said.

Both victims sustained injuries to their legs, but have now been treated and released, the report said.

ORIN ROAD

Residential Burglary

According to a police report, a 29-year-old Madison woman awoke early the morning of Feb. 3 to find two men in her room.

The report said she awoke after hearing a loud noise and saw the men, who had forced entry through the front door. In addition to the damage to the front door, a closet door was also damaged.

The woman was left unharmed and nothing was stolen. The victim described both men as between 25 and 35 years old.