Crime in brief

View this map on a larger scale

STATE STREET

Weapons Violations

Shots fired at Frida Mexican Grill on State Street resulted in two non-life threatening injuries on New Year’s Eve, a Madison Police Department incident report said. 

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the two victims were battered inside the bar following a dispute, and one suspect fired a round inside the bar, prompting patrons to run outside. The battery of the victims continued outside the bar.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the restaurant closed permanently shortly after the incident. He said the shooting on New Year’s Eve was troubling, and the city took immediate action.

Verveer said the owner of Frida and the property’s owner, the Overture Foundation, agreed that Frida be closed immediately following the shooting, and that an eviction notice had been pending for Frida because they owed rent.

“There has been a pattern of violence that emerged since Frida morphed from a restaurant into a nightclub,” Verveer said.

DeSpain said there are suspects identified, and MPD is working with the district attorney’s office to make a charging decision.

WEST GORHAM

Arrested Person

A 19-year-old Madison resident received a threatening anonymous email demanding $25,000 earlier this month, according to a police report.

The email said a person had been hired to kill the victim if he did not turn over the money, and that he should not contact the authorities, the report said.

The victim called the police and reported the incident, and did not give any information to the anonymous sender. The investigation into the sender’s identity is ongoing, the report said.

The report said Madisonians should be wary of Internet fraud, and that people should not give any personal information to anonymous sources online.

EAST MIFFLIN

Weapons Violation

According to an incident report from Jan. 5, a man who legally changed his name to Beezow Doo-Doo Zoppitybop-Bop-Bop was arrested on the 800 block of East Mifflin Street for illegal possession of a weapon and marijuana.

The report said Zoppitybop-Bop-Bop was also in violation of the rules of his probation following past concealed weapons violations, and was not permitted to have weapons or drugs.

Zoppitybop-Bop-Bop was arrested and booked into the Dane County Jail.

UNIVERSITY AVENUE

Fight

As part of a minor outbreak of crime that broke out in downtown on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, an MPD report said a fight broke out at the Vintage Bar and Grill on University Avenue Jan. 1.

Bo Morrison, one of two 19-year-old males trying to get into the bar, had his ID taken by the bouncer, and subsequently punched the bouncer in the face, the report said.

According to the report, the other 19-year-old male, Peter Bellante, began to fight the second bouncer, but both Bellante and Morrison were detained by police and taken to the Dane County Jail.

STATE STREET

Arrested Person

Members of the MPD force were kept busy New Year’s Day as officers responded to reports of a 19-year-old man and an unidentified acquaintance harassing people in the State Street area. 

When suspect Justin Sharlow was told to leave with his acquaintance, he tried to get past the officers, and subsequently tripped over an officer’s foot, the report said.

Sharlow then attempted to charge the officer, but was subdued, the report said. Two small bags of marijuana were confiscated from Sharlow, and he was taken to the Dane County Jail.

SOUTH BASSETT

Residential Burglary

A police report from Jan. 7 detailed the arrest of Michael Clausen, 33, of Madison, for burglary and a parole violation.

According to the report, the 19-year-old male victim, a University of Wisconsin student, heard sounds coming from his neighbors’ apartment, who he knew were not at home.

DeSpain said the 911 dispatcher told the victim to stay in his locked room, and he remained on the phone with them while the police arrived.

DeSpain also said officers found Clausen in a stairwell and recovered the stolen items.

BROOM STREET

Accident-Injury

According to an MPD report from Jan. 9, a 21-year-old cyclist was hit by a taxi-van on Broom Street, and suffered serious injuries.

The report said the driver, 26, said he was backing into a parking spot, and the cyclist ran into the van.

DeSpain said it appeared the driver was not to blame, and it is possible the biker biked into the back of the van.

There were no citations following this incident, and it is under investigation, DeSpain said.

STATE STREET

Arrested Person

According to a police report from Jan. 3, an arrest was made following a theft of $72 worth of Waldryl at the Walgreens on State Street.

Todd Halverson, 47, of Madison, was taken into custody after officers determined who he was based on his description, the report said. The officers learned Halverson had boarded a bus, and met him at his place of residence.

Halverson gave no comment upon meeting the officers, but the Waldryl was recovered at his residence, as well as a weapon that Halverson had kept on his person, the report said.

GAMMON ROAD

Weapons Violation

MPD reported a stabbing following a fight in the parking lot of a strip mall on the morning of Jan. 12.

According to the police report, the victims were two Madison women, 21 and 23. They did not have serious injuries, but the 23-year-old did end up going to the hospital.

The report said a fight broke out near the New Town Pub, involving 15 to 20 women. Temkia Burch, 33, and Davina Thomas, 23, were arrested. Burch is believed to be responsible for the stabbings, according to the report.

The report said debris, including a cell phone and several hair weaves, were found in the parking lot following the fight.

WEST GILMAN 

Battery

An incident of battery was reported after officers were called to a hospital on Jan. 12, according to police reports.

The report said three individuals attacked a 24-year-old Madison man and his girlfriend, 19, when she tried to help him. Both victims said they were struck with a handgun.

DeSpain said the victim did not provide great detail about the attackers. However, the report said this is the third time in more than a year that the man has been attacked or robbed.

DeSpain said detectives have not ruled out drugs as a motivation in all the assaults against the victim. Most of the incidents have been home invasions involving the victim, which DeSpain said are usually drug-related in the city.

He said, however, that MPD does not believe the general population does not have cause to worry over this particular case.

WEST JOHNSON 

Arrested Persons

According to police reports, a fight took place at Logan’s Madtown restaurant and bar, and two brothers were arrested Jan.15.

One brother swung punches at a man outside the bar after a large group exited, and the other brother attacked the bouncer with a stun gun, the report said.

The report also said the bouncer was not injured, thanks to the thick leather jacket he was wearing.

DeSpain said weapons like stun guns, mace and others occasionally appear in reports, but are not typically associated in taverns.

He said this is the first time a bouncer has been a victim of a stun gun attack in Madison.

EAST WASHINGTON 

Weapons Violation

A shooting was reported at the High Noon Saloon Jan. 17 after a bartender heard a “popping noise,” and discovered it to be a gunshot, owner Cathy Dethmers said.

Dethmers said this is the first time shots were fired on the premises, and that fights are rare at the bar. She said they are taking steps to ensure this never happens again.

According to DeSpain, the individual who said he was pistol whipped was not forthcoming with the bouncer, and would not identify any suspect who may have had a gun.

“He said he knew who had injured him, but would not say who it was,” DeSpain said.

The victim gave no name or identification before he left the bar, and therefore the police have not been able to contact him, DeSpain said. He said the investigation is ongoing.

Dethmers said she does not know if there will be repercussions for the bar, but they have been following the security plan approved for them by the police. She also said they are meeting with the police and an attorney this week.