Crime in brief

SHERMAN AVENUE: Drug Investigation

A 15-year-old student at Shabazz City High School was arrested Tuesday afternoon for drug charges, a Madison Police report said.

MPD spokesperson, Joel DeSpain, said the student was found to possess 16 grams of marijuana, 22 oxycodone pills, a scale and several baggies. The student claimed the drugs were for personal use, but would not explain why he had a scale and baggies.

“We have an epidemic with heroin and other opiate users,” said DeSpain. “These drugs are a rampant problem not just in Madison but in all of Dane County.”

TREE LANE: Overdose

On Tuesday, a 21-year-old Cross Plains man found another man lying in an apartment building parking lot not breathing, according to an MPD report.

DeSpain said the man attempted CPR and then called 911. Paramedics administered Narcan and took the man to the hospital.

The 22-year-old Verona man soon admitted to using heroin, the report said.

Additionally, the report also said two men knew each other previously. A police dog also found heroin in the 21-year-old man’s car.

According to the report, the two men’s roles were reversed last May when the 21-year had overdosed.

WEST TOWNE MALL: Retail Theft

On Tuesday a 23-year-old Verona man was caught shoplifting at Boston Store while attempting to steal more than $1,500 worth of jewelry, according to an MPD report.

The report also said the suspect was in possession of a plastic bag containing hypodermic needles, rubber tubing and other drug paraphernalia.

The man told a Madison Police officer he uses heroin every day and was stealing “because I need money, and I don’t have any,” the report said.

COTTAGE GROVE ROAD: Drug Investigation

According to an MPD report, an officer discovered potential drug activity taking place inside a car by a Cottage Grove Road restaurant Wednesday afternoon.

Police approached the passengers of the vehicle, and one admitted he had just come to Madison from Beaver Dam, purchased heroin and was preparing to use it.

Two men in the vehicle were arrested, and the third was cited, the report said. A 24-year-old female passenger was not arrested because probable cause could not be established.

MPD is continuing to curb heroin use throughout the north and east side of the city, the report said.

EDGEWOOD COLLEGE DRIVE: Special Event

On Monday afternoon, MPD spoke with an 18-year-old Edgewood College student who wanted to report harm to a recall petition on Nov. 15, according to an MPD report.

The student had been volunteering for the Edgewood Young Democrats and obtained two signatures from fellow students hoping to recall Gov. Scott Walker, the report said.

The report said a third student then approached the 18-year-old student in a manner suggesting the student wanted to sign the petition. Instead, the third student took the petition, tore it in half and walked away with it.

The investigating officer plans to contact the Dane County District Attorney. It is up to the DA to decide whether a criminal charge will be filed, the report said.

View Crime-in-brief 12/2 in a larger map