City reviews Union renovation

Members of a city business group scrutinized a proposed design for remodeling the Memorial Union, a controversial plan that could alter the famed campus landmark and increase student accessibility.

Members of the Madison Central Business Improvement District met Thursday and received an update on the project.

Mark Guthier, director of the Wisconsin Union, gave a presentation on the Lakefront Gateway projects, which he said aim to improve lakefront access for all, unify the lakefront with the Union Terrace and renovate the Memorial Union.

Guthier said the renovation project includes joining the Union and the alumni building by replacing the parking lot with an alumni park, which could provide spaces for holding large-scale events such as summer festivals.

Another proposed feature of the Memorial Union will be adding a lounge north of the theater.

Guthier said he had heard concerns over whether the new additional structure would block the view of the sunset from the Terrace, but added the new design would not affect the view in a significant way.

He added the entrance on the west side of the building will be modified in a way that visitors do not have to go up the stairs to reach the box office.

At present, the theater balcony is inaccessible to students and faculty, as it is locked except when being used for private events.

“We also want to keep a balance with the model with handicap accessible parking,” Guthier said.

Guthier said phase one of the project is already funded.

“The phase one of the project will be covered by student fees, which are already built in in their tuition currently,” he said.

He added the following phases will be covered by fundraising.

BID member Maria Milsted called the proposal “a beautiful plan.”

The project has already been approved by the Joint Southeast Campus Area Committee and was referred to the BID for an informational presentation.

Next Tuesday members of the university’s Union Council will meet and hear an update on the project at the campus level.

Proposed plans for Union renovation have been controversial on campus for months.

In late October, the Associated Students of Madison found that a majority of voters in the fall election were opposed to a proposal to add a glass extension to the existing theater at Memorial Union.

Students expressed concerns that the renovations compromised the architectural integrity of the original Union architecture.

After students’ objections were made public, variations of the original plan were designed to attempt to appease both students and developers, design principal Del Wilson said.

Mary Carbine, BID executive director, reported to BID members on issues concerning the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association tournaments, a series of state high school athletic tournaments that draw large numbers to the downtown area.

Carbine said the event is a major draw to the downtown area that provides an influx of revenue for downtown businesses.

“The boys and girls basketball tournaments are real economic engines for the downtown Madison, and estimated direct spending is between 8 and 9 million dollars,” Carbine said. “The stakeholders of the issue and many other people are working very hard to resolve these conflicts.”