Board of Estimates approves series of grants, city requests

A city finance committee approved a number of amendments aimed toward improving Madison’s parks and public safety and authorized the city attorney to take legal action against the state in light of significant cutbacks Monday.

The mayor, city clerk and chief of police were approved by the Board of Estimates to accept six public safety grants amounting to $213,702. This would be funded by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation for various activities throughout 2011-2012.

The largest of these grants, at $80,702, would go toward a comprehensive alcohol risk reduction program. Smaller proportions of the grant will be distributed to enforcing alcohol, speed, safety belt, pedestrian safety and bicycle safety laws.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, was concerned about what percentage of the money would be allocated to certain projects within the alcohol program. He also motioned to add an amendment before the issue was approved.

The board voted to approve the expansion of Merrill Springs Park, located along the southwest shore of Lake Mendota.

Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, said the project would be an opportunity for the city to preserve lakeshore and maintain natural beauty.

In addition, the authorization of an amendment for the 2011 Parks Capital Budget for the acquisition was approved.

The city attorney was also given final approval to begin taking legal action against the state and its officers because of a lapse or transfer of around $400,000 in recycling grant funds which the city has already planned for.

Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, noted Milwaukee was specifically mentioned as asking questions about this transfer as well.

After a brief discussion with the manager of the Office of Real Estate Services, Don Marx, the acceptance of a selection committee’s recommendation of the Gebhardt Development LLC proposal for the redevelopment of city-owned estates in the 700 block of East Washington Avenue was approved.

According to Marx, this redevelopment would create 185 units with a parking ramp of almost 300 parking stalls. A phase two environmental assessment was already completed on the project, Marx said. There will also be a 180-day contingency period for the developers.

Marx concluded the developers would be responsible for the demolition of the immediate site.

Ald. Larry Palm, District 15, asked Marx whether an appraisal was done on the property and how much it was worth.

“We did an appraisal on the properties,” Marx said. “The 800 north site was found to be worth $20 per square foot, and the 800 south site was found to be $25 per square foot. You can get more density on the 800 south site. This is what drove the price up.”

A number of other motions were approved, including the authorization and acceptance of a $400,000 Environmental Protection Agency assessment grant to fund the inventory, environmental assessment and correction planning for brownfields around the city.

According to the EPA, brownfield sites are any instance of land use that could see complications from the possible presence of contaminants or pollutants.

The board then proceeded to go into closed session before adjournment.