Bars halt ID policy deemed ‘discriminatory’

The downtown bars that implemented a controversial and allegedly discriminatory admission policy have stopped their enforcement after an overwhelmingly negative response from city officials and the community.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said downtown bars Johnny O’s and Wandos have removed signs in the windows that said the bars require a driver’s license or passport for entry.

He added that Logan’s Madtown discontinued the policy as of Nov. 4.

Verveer said the bars made the decision to stop the policy without action by the city.

“Any pressure that the city exerted was through the media,” he said. “The news that the establishments have abandoned the policies was largely in reaction to the concerns that were articulated by some in the community.”

The policy was put in place after a notable increase in violence inside and in front of bars over the summer.

Verveer said a catalyst for bar owners’ concerns was a brutal attack outside of Wando’s in July that landed several people in the hospital.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said the city has recently focused on the issue of gang activity in downtown bars.

He said the Madison Police central precinct has focused on deterring gang members from entering bars and ensuring that police monitoring the area are well aware of gang-affiliated individuals.

Resnick emphasized, however, that deterring gang members is a completely different and more focused approach from an open-ended ID policy.

Verveer said the city is focusing on curbing violence by increasing police presence in the downtown entertainment district as of late summer.

Efforts have been largely successful, he said.

“Much of this [violence] has subsided, and it’s silly to say that it’s the ID policy that was the reason why the violence subsided,” Verveer said.

The bars’ decision follows an onslaught of negative feedback from city officials and community members alike.

Resnick said people’s main concern was that the policy unfairly targets African-Americans and other underrepresented individuals who may not have driver’s licenses.

“By focusing on these groups, there’s an intent to keep those individuals out of the bars in downtown Madison,” he said. “Bar owners would argue that it’s more of a safety concern.”

Members of the city’s Equal Opportunities Commission formed a subcommittee to specifically address the ethical concerns surrounding the policy and look for possible violations of city ethics code.

Commission members also said action needed to be taken to eliminate the policy in a recent meeting.

“I’m a little confused as to why we’re sitting back and letting this policy happen,” EOC member Kathy Cramer Walsh said.

While the city did not take any formal action to target the policy, Resnick said officials did explain possible outcomes of racist policies, including the possibility of revoking a bar’s liquor license, to bar owners.

Verveer said Mayor Paul Soglin called two formal meetings in his office to discuss the policy and its potential implications.

He added city officials also held multiple formal and informal discussions in City Hall.

Resnick said it is likely that controversy will resurface.

“I hope the city works on possible legislation and ordinances that would regulate this in the future,” he said.