City applies finishing touches to Freakfest

freakfest_MM
Mario and Bowser face off at the boss level on State Street during last year’s Freakfest. A portable cell phone tower should make it easier to text and call during this year’s party.[/media-credit]

With Freakfest fast approaching, both city officials are making last minute preparations to ensure optimal security and fun on Saturday night.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the city will be bringing in a mobile tower and electronic radio transceiver. The device will ensure cell phone service for Freakfest attendees.

“Given the tens of thousands of additional people that will be downtown for an extended period, existing cell phone communications will be stretched very thin,” Verveer said. “This is the same phenomenon as at football games at Camp Randall.”

Verveer said that the mobile tower is being provided free of charge to the city by Sprint.

He added the increased reception will improve communication between both partygoers and public employees. Last year, public employees were less able to communicate with one another as a result of the poor reception.

Increased communication between public workers will allow for a more secure event, Verveer said.

Madison Metro routes have been altered this weekend in preparation for the influx of visitors and increased downtown traffic.

A statement from Madison Metro said starting at 5 p.m. on Saturday, Routes 2,4,5,6,7 and 8 will detour from State and Lake streets.

Route 81 Lakeshore buses will use the bus stop on Park Street instead of the stop at the Memorial Union. Langdon Street will be closed and will not be accessible by bus.

The East Johnson Street and Gorham Street corridor will be served by Route 82, the statement said. 82 buses will stop at the westbound bus stop on University Avenue at Park Street.

City business owners are also gearing up for the flood of visitors coming to town this weekend.

The majority of bars and late-night restaurants will be open and available, albeit crowded.

Students and other partygoers alike are also preparing for the event by getting their costumes Freakfest costume contest-ready.

Carmelo Alfano, spokesperson for The Pipefitter, said that this year’s most popular buys include a nurse, V for Vendetta, Buddy the Elf, a construction worker, Batman and Harry Potter costumes.

Alfano added that with the economic downturn has come a decrease in sales.

“Kids are building their own costumes more than ever these days,” he said. “Sales have been coming down over the last couple of years.”

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, emphasized the importance of being safe and alert during the Halloween celebrations.

“Be diligent of your surroundings,” he said. “Lots of law enforcement will be out on the street looking to help you have a good and safe time. If there’s something questionable, don’t hesitate to talk to law enforcement and let them be an ally to you.”