Board of Estimates reviews budget cuts, county alterations

The Dane County Board of Supervisors personnel and finance committee met with the Board of Estimates Wednesday to review cuts within the county executive’s cabinet, delinquency collections and budgets for the upcoming recall elections.

A highlight of the agenda was the discussion on changes in the Department of Administration’s operating budget. Changes included the creation of a position and restoring janitor positions in the City Council Building.

Travis Myren, director of administration, said the county executive had cut funding for the deputy director position and had proposed to recreate the position as an information management director.

“The difference between the two positions would be a $10,000 savings,” Myren said. “It will still be responsible for all of the activities and information management. Some of the things that had not been done will be starting to get done, like IT strategic planning.”

Myren added that the new position would increase the department’s efficiency.

“We will better coordinate with departments,” he said. “We will get out to departments more [and] be able to access to their needs. [We can] respond better and hopefully faster to what they are requesting.”

Myren also reported savings as a result of employees signing for voluntary leave without a pay program.

David Worzala, Dane Country treasurer, talked about the budget in relation to the taxing process. He proposed adding a $125 flat fee to all properties.

“Last year we approved charging mailing in the title work, and this year we are doing that as well as adding the staff cost associated with the person who does that,” Worzala said.

He also talked about annual delinquency collections.

“I am not that optimistic about the new tax coming out in December when you see the problem of unemployment continuing. I am concerned,” he said. “Folks in trouble are going into their year two and three rather than being one year delinquent, which isn’t really a surprise in this unemployment situation.”

According to the statistics provided by GCS Federal Credit Union, annual delinquency collections rose drastically from $4,830,402 in 2008, when the recession began, to $9,375,252 in 2010. The amount dropped slightly in the year 2010.

He added that although delinquencies remained high, they would continue to communicate with the people.

The board also reported the passing of a budget amendment for the funding on a recall election.

Sup. Dianne Hesselbine, District 9, said the budget for a recall election would be $157,390, and the amount only covers the expenditure of Dane County. Expenses on other regions have not yet been taken into account.

Hesselbine also said there was a move to increase expenditure on payment to citizens who come to Madison to attend meetings. The proposed expenditure to restore per diem payments to citizens was $8,000.

Janelle Heinrich, interim director from Public Health Madison & Dane County, reported a number of amendments to the budget, including the implementation of programs such as a program for first-time mothers. The department also decided to fund an outreach coordinator position.