Crime in brief

View Shootings in Madison in a larger map

GAMMON LANE
Homicide Update

A suspect in a May 2011 homicide case was taken into custody across state lines Monday.

A 31-year-old male was shot last May in the area of 1100 Gammon Lane, a Madison Police Department report said. An initial S.W.A.T. search turned up no suspects, and the case remained open.

MPD reported at the time that the victim and suspect likely were acquainted before the shooting. Police eventually obtained a warrant for the arrest of Victor M. McKeavin, but his location remained unknown.

McKeavin was apprehended in Atlanta by U.S. Marshals Monday more than five months later. Madison police expressed their gratitude to McKeavin’s captors.

“MPD would like to thank the U.S. Marshals Service for continuing to be a strong partner in apprehending wanted criminals,” said MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain in an email to The Badger Herald.

TROY DRIVE
Homicide Update

Two men were shot last Friday on the 800 block of Troy Drive in Madison. One sustained an injury, while the other, 20-year-old Jonathan TeAndre Wilson, was killed.

According to an MPD report, multiple shots had been fired at the “highly chaotic” scene.

Three people were detained by police Friday night. One was interviewed and released, and two brothers remain in custody.

The report said the incident was not a random act and involved two groups with ties to local gangs, although the shooting’s motive remains unknown.

MPD will be working with neighbors and providing extra police attention to the surrounding area to ensure those involved are held accountable and similar violence does not occur, the report said.

MCKENNA BOULEVARD
Heroin Overdose

A 22-year-old Verona man overdosed on heroin in another man’s car Saturday afternoon, an MPD report said.

The driver of the car pulled into MPD’s West District station to attempt to get help for his passenger. An officer laid the victim down in the parking lot and began chest compressions. Color soon returned to his face, and he began breathing.

The man was taken to a hospital, where he admitted to using heroin in a nearby parking lot. He said he was a recovering addict who had relapsed.

The West District officer who performed CPR was nominated for a departmental life-saving award, according to the report.

UNIVERSITY AVENUE
Battery

A 20-year-old man was taken to the hospital after being assaulted in the hallway of his University Avenue apartment building, an MPD report said.

The victim was treated for an eye injury after being punched in the face by the suspect, 20-year-old Christopher Ousley.

The report said the victim did not know Ousley and was simply walking to his own unit in the building.

MPD arrived as private security was pulling Ousley away from a group of men. He was arrested for battery and disorderly conduct.

STATE STREET
Armed Robbery

A 19-year-old Madison man was arrested Saturday for armed robbery, an MPD report said.

Passersby got an officer’s attention after the suspect encountered almost 15 victims. Witnesses said he was yelling at people on the street, claiming he had a gun and demanding money, the report said.

The same man was arrested for heroin possession earlier this month after being caught in possession of the drug on South Hamilton Street.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said that the city is working to combat robberies.

“We do periodically see robberies, but we have a neighborhood officer and others in the downtown area who focus specifically on preventing these types of crimes,” Resnick said.

NORTH FRANCES STREET
Property Damage

Police were called to North Frances Street and a nearby tattoo parlor early Sunday morning after a resident saw a suspect smash the glass in two doors, an MPD report said.

A 20-year-old Madison man was arrested and charged with criminal damage to property, breaking and entering and underage possession.

Resnick said occasional property damage does occur in the campus area but has been on a downward trend in recent years.