Changes may come to State St.; Central Library staff prep for move

library_TZ
George Austin, project manager for the Block 100 Foundation, lays out plans for a revamped portion of State Street during a Madison Public Library Board meeting on Thursday night. Austin said the plans would try to build structures to compliment the Overture Center and the library on Fairchild Street.[/media-credit]

The Madison Public Library Board reviewed redevelopment plans for the 100 block of State Street last night.

During the meeting George Austin, the project manager for the Block 100 Foundation, a local non-profit organization, explained the architectural design of a new project on the 100 block of State Street, which would house new retail and office space on the second, third and fourth stories.

The project would aim to preserve the historic face of the buildings on State Street while redesigning the adjacent block of Fairchild Street, he said. The new building will orient itself to the library and Overture Center.

The project requires no public financial assistance, and money generated annually by the building will benefit the Overture Center, Austin said.

“The block has a rich history,” explained Austin. “The goal being: Keep State Street how it is.”

The only change to State Street would be the reconstruction of the building on the corner of State Street and Fairchild Street. The goal is to make it look as it did in the beginning of the 20th century, Austin said.

However, on Fairchild St. they want to create something new and dramatic, with better energy efficiency and better accessibility for people with disabilities. There will also be a garden plaza and restaurant, he said.

Austin hopes to have the plans for construction completed by next spring. If everything goes as planned, construction will be expected to begin by March or April of 2013.

In the meantime, the Block 100 Foundation plans to meet with Madison community groups, the Library Board and the Plan Commission to further discuss the project in detail.

“We are excited about it and want to share the vision,” finished Austin.

Library Board members shared their excitement and concerns with the project.

“To me this area has been talked about for a long time. I think you guys have made a really good start here,” said David Wallner, a board member. “Cities need to change. This area needs a shining light.”

Ald. Larry Palm, District 15, another board member, voiced his concern over parking. Austin assured the room that the parking along Fairchild St. and Mifflin St. would still be available.

Aside from benefiting the Overture Center, Austin reminded the board members of the two key goals of the project: “To maintain the architectural character of State Street and to do something that otherwise couldn’t be done on Fairchild.”

Following the presentation Bryan Cooper, a city architect, gave an update on Central Library. He informed the board that three temporary lease facilities have been approved by the city.

“We have almost finished with hiring movers to move items,” Cooper said. “We are shooting for Nov. 14 to start the move.”

Bid documents are in the city’s possession for general construction, and final documentation for zoning and planning has been approved.

“There has been a pre-bid meeting with potential contractors,” Cooper said. Thirty-six different companies, contractors, plumbers and electricians were also in the bid, he said.

Signage for the interior of the building is in the process of being set up right now, and the city should be ready for bid by February or March of next year, he said.