Freakfest 2011 gains final approval from Madison commission

streetuse_ZL
University students and Madison residents don Halloween costumes to celebrate Freakfest 2010. The event runs the length of State Street, with stages near the Capitol and on Gilman and Francis Streets.[/media-credit]

A Madison commission granted Freakfest 2011 the final go-ahead required from the city to take over State Street with thousands of students and residents eager to take in concerts and other Halloween-themed festivities.

Frank Productions Promotions Manager Charlie Goldstone met with the Street Use Staff Commission to discuss the final essential details of the permit, which outlined the specific streets be completely closed off for the event.

State Street will be closed off to allow for gated entry to the event beginning at 7 p.m., in addition to other minor streets and nearby intersections, to allow for ticketed entry for attendees to begin at that time, committee members said.

From Sept. 26: Frank Productions announces All Time Low, Neon Trees to headline Freakfest 2011

Goldstone said there would be “no significant changes from last year” with respect to how the event’s organizers look to use street space during Freakfest.

Jerry McMullen, a fire code enforcement officer, brought up his concerns about attendant parking during the event, saying that if a vehicle is parked in the fire lane, the driver has to remain in the car.

He said this has been an issue for previous years and emphasized that cars would be towed if this rule is not followed.

After discussing other specific addenda items, the commission unanimously approved street use for Freakfest.

This meeting was the last step of approval for Freakfest by the city, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said in an interview. He mentioned there will also still be two other public information meetings in October.

At a Downtown Coordinating Committee meeting held earlier this month, members were also briefed on the increase in ticket price at the festival. Tickets now cost $8 in advance and $12 at the gate, according to a statement from Frank Productions.

Verveer said the increase is a positive step in shifting the cost of Freakfest away from taxpayers.

“If it were a bigger price jump, I’d be concerned,” Verveer said.

Following Freakfest’s approval, Leena Asuma, a UW student speaking on behalf of JanSport, presented on the plan to host a run up State Street and around the Capitol Square to members of the commission.

The run would be a fundraiser for Big City Mountaineers, a nonprofit organization that takes inner city youth on camping trips, and would be similar to the Axe Undie Run which took place last May, Asuma said.

“Bare It All for BCM” would take place Thursday, Oct. 20, at 9 p.m., if granted the appropriate permit, she said.

She brought the idea to the commission mainly to preliminarily evaluate what the costs for the event would run.

Parks Coordinator Kelli Lamberty said that they could not make a decision on the run immediately. She said if Asuma wanted to move forward with the event, she would have to first obtain a parade permit.

The commission also discussed a proposal from Adam May, marketing manager for Ian’s Pizza on State Street. Sports Illustrated and Nissan contacted Ian’s Pizza for a promotional event this Friday before the University of Wisconsin and Nebraska football game, May said.

The commission did not take a final vote on the matter.