ALRC reviews nuisance bill draft

ALRC_ZL
Photo captionRick Flowers, owner of R’ Place, said his bar is the only place in Madison where members of the black community feel welcomed. The bar’s license was up for review Wednesday after multiple violent incidents.[/media-credit]

The Alcohol License Review Committee took steps Wednesday night toward approving the latest proposed revision to an ordinance taking aim at oversized house parties.

The ordinance, proposed by Mayor Paul Soglin, works to decrease the amount of large parties that are disruptive, unsafe and illegal by encouraging landlords to take action against tenants who throw disturbing parties.

The latest revision included provisions to distinguish between landlords who are proactive and those who are not and to levee penalties on landlords after a second infraction within a six month period. It also removed language prohibiting a visible beer barrel.

Committee members exchanged thoughts on whether the proposal was too harsh on landlords, many of whom expressed concern over being liable for bad tenants.

Ald. Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, District 5, told the committee about a landlord with two “problem” residences in her district who was being very proactive both in notifying police and the district alder about the houses so they might take action.

Bidar-Sielaff cautioned that the proposal may penalize proactive landlords with non-responsive tenants and also questioned whether pushing landlords to evict was wise.

“Is eviction really a good solution in the middle of the semester”? Bidar-Sielaff asked. “It’s a lose-lose for all parties involved.”

The ordinance is only asking landlords to use the toolbox they have to discourage these parties, Madison Police Department Executive Captain of Support Services Mary Schauf said.

“We have a toolbox and [landlords] have a toolbox,” Schauf said. “This ordinance asks landlords to use the toolbox they have to help neighborhood safety.”

Schauf requested the committee wait to make a final recommendation to the City Council, so the police department might have more time to review the latest revision distributed to the committee Wednesday.

The committee agreed, noting the ordinance could not stand as a final product as it was.

“This ordinance is still a couple months away from any final action,” Alcohol Policy Coordinator Mark Woulf said.

After finishing discussion on the ordinance, the committee went into closed session to address the ongoing struggle between the city and Madison bar R’ Place.

Upon re-opening, the ALRC voted to deliberate on 15 stipulated counts of the 28 put forth by the city against the bar at next Wednesday’s meeting.

The city is pushing hard to revoke the bar’s liquor license because it plans to redevelop the area, R’ Place owner Rick Flowers said.

But incidences of violence – in particular the shooting and stabbing that occurred in the same 2010 weekend – are behind the city’s efforts, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

According to the assistant city attorney Jennifer Zilavy, the city sent a settlement offer last week to Anthony Delyea, who is representing R’ Place, but received no response.

“Members of the black community say it’s the only bar that treats you like human beings,” Flowers said. “Just a neighborhood bar.”

Early in the meeting, the committee also approved Madison’s new Hotel Red to expand 20 seats of outdoor seating next to Mickies Dairy Bar.

The seating will be cordoned off and reserved for hotel guests during football game days, Hotel Red General Manager Jason Ilstrup said.