City committee approves new downtown pedicab company

A city commission raised concerns about how a proposal for a pedicycle cab service in the downtown area would fit in with the busy downtown atmosphere at a meeting Tuesday evening. 

The city’s Transit and Parking Commission met Tuesday evening to consider an application from a group of retired Madison Police Department officers vying for the chance to start the city’s first pedicycle company.

Currently, many Madison-area residents run independent pedicycle businesses in which they are only allowed to ask for tips or donations because the city does not yet recognize pedicycle companies as legitimate operations, given their lack of licensing and insurance.

According to a statement from City Traffic Engineer David Dryer, the Capitol Pedaler Cab company would have an employee driver operate the cycle on fixed routes for reserved time intervals. Although the driver would steer the cycle and operate the breaks, a minimum of six to eight passengers would pedal.

Retired MPD officer Linda Besser said the group would “provide a group friendly form of entertainment” by placing large pedicycle cabs throughout the downtown area.

Besser said the cycles would be pedal powered and would be handicap accessible with hydraulic breaks. The bikes would be “unique vehicles” that, measuring at 17.5-feet long and 5-feet wide, could accommodate up to 15 passengers.

Transportation Operations Analyst for the city Keith Pollock said if the application passes through a number of city commission required for final approval, the company would become the city’s first official business of this type.

Pollock said although the application was off to a good start, the city would still need to complete a detailed evaluation of the different complications that could come with the proposal.

“There would need to be a thorough review of the application through the mayor’s office, Metro and the city’s risk manager,” Pollock said. “The initial concerns come from servicing alcohol and allowing it on board, insurance issues and creating a minor nuance for buses.”

The city would also have to consider how the start-up would impact the John Nolen Drive area, Pollock said. He said the area is already marred with high traffic and suggested the group take the neighborhood out of its potential routes.

Still, retired MPD officer Lourdes Fernandez said the group performed a test run last Saturday and found positive results.

“The test run did not stop or slow down traffic,” Fernandez said. “People said it was a great thing to bring to Madison and looked forward to [us implementing the program].”

Fernandez also said the group had considered a number of the potential issues the commission brought to light, including safety and insurance issues. She said the drivers and passengers could wear helmets, and the group has researched liability waivers for passengers to sign before taking a ride.

Besser said as former police officers, the group has considered the atmosphere on State Street that drivers might encounter and said the company would ensure the services were appropriately used and available to all ages.

“The service is meant to be fun and enjoyable without the boisterous, drunken activity that occurs on State Street,” she said.