Person of interest arrested in Park St. homicide

Madison Police Department officials arrested a “person of interest” Monday in the fatal stabbing of a Madison man on South Park Street this past weekend.

Bernard J. Brown, 27, of Madison was taken into custody without incident on a probation warrant after evidence linked Brown to the homicide of Clifton Jones Jr., 23, of Madison. Jones died at Meriter Hospital early Sunday morning while being treated for excessive bleeding from multiple stab wounds.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the motivation for the homicide was still unclear, but said the department established a number of people involved in the incident had gang affiliations. He said the department is currently looking to talk to as many people as possible that were in the area during the time of the crime.

A forensic autopsy performed Sunday showed Jones died as a result of the injuries sustained during the stabbing, Barry Irmen, Director of Operations for the Dane County Medical Examiner’s Office, said in a statement. The autopsy also shows the victim was stabbed with an “edged weapon.”

Though DeSpain said a number of suspects were potentially involved in the homicide, he said the greater public is not suspected to be in outstanding danger at this time.

“We do not think there is a general danger to the community, although there could be specific danger to the other individuals involved in the incident,” DeSpain said. “Other individuals might be seeking retaliation against people involved.”

Despite the arrest, MPD is continuing to investigate the incident. According to an MPD report, investigating officers believe the stabbing occurred at the BP Amoco Service Station at 318 S. Park Street around 2 a.m.

Brown has a long history of arrests and citations within Dane County, with violations varying from theft to illegal possession of a firearm by a felon.

In light of the proximity of the incident to campus, University of Wisconsin officials released a statement urging students to consider their personal safety while outside at night.

“Although UW-Madison students live in apartments and houses in the nearby area, there are no known campus ties to the victim or assailant or known threats to the neighborhood,” the statement said. “However, [the UW Police Department] and MPD continue to urge students to consider their own personal safety, especially while out at night.”