Crime in brief

200 BLOCK OF STATE STREET

Battery

A 29-year-old Madison man was attacked on State Street early Sunday morning after an altercation with a large group of people outside a party bus.

Madison Police Department officers responded to a call from a local hospital saying the victim came in with an eye injury, including a broken orbital bone, an MPD report said.

The party bus driver told officers the victim had actually started the fight, the report said.

“This incident is an example of really the most serious crime the downtown faces,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. “Many people would laugh at a statement like that, but I actually think it’s a positive that the most violent crime – that occurs to the extent that it does occur – is usually involving intoxicated persons around bar time.”

311 EAST CAMPUS MALL 

Weapons Violation

A 34-year old Madison man entered the Walgreens store on East Campus Mall Friday morning with the intentions to host an armed robbery.

According to an MPD report, Joseph Colquitt said he had planned the robbery but was unable go through with it once he entered the store. Colquitt opened his backpack, handed a large knife over to an employee and told the employee “to take the knife and the bag and do what you have to do.”

Verveer said downtown residents should be assured this sort of weapons violation and robberies are both very rare in downtown Madison.

“You just don’t hear about these sorts of robberies occurring in downtown Madison because there are so many more eyes and ears downtown that it is hard for perpetrators to get away easily,” Verveer said.

WHITNEY WAY AT ODANA ROAD 

Injured Child

A 9-year-old child was injured Monday afternoon when a vehicle ran over the boy’s foot while the child was attempting to cross the road.

“The boy was not struck by a vehicle (as was originally suggested), but did have his foot run over,” MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said in an e-mail. “No serious injury. No broken bones.”

The child said he had a walk signal, but the vehicle’s driver said she had a green light, an MPD report said. The incident is currently being investigated, and no citations have been issued.

VERONA ROAD 

Robbery

A 40-year-old Fitchburg man was robbed at gunpoint Saturday morning in a Speedway gas station parking lot, an MPD report said.

The victim said he had exited his car to pump gas when a man between 20 and 25 years old approached him and brandished a gun, the report said. The robber told the victim to hand over his cash, which the victim did.

“Most armed robberies occur outside the downtown area,” Verveer said. “Whether it’s a financial institution or a gas station, it is pretty rare that the incidents occur downtown.”

WYALUSING DRIVE 

Battery

A 19-year old man found himself in a local hospital Tuesday morning after being attacked by a group of men while walking in the 300 block of Wyalusing Drive.

According to an MPD report, the victim was kicked, punched and stabbed once in the back. He said he was attacked by a group but could not provide police with a description of any of the attackers.

The victim said he did not want to pursue any charges, saying he did not care who attacked him.