City could lose $11 million from budget

Following the release of Gov. Scott Walker’s budget proposal last week, city officials announced Madison would take a $11 million cut in state aid if the bill passes through the state process in the coming months.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz gathered members of the City Council, city managers and labor leaders at a special meeting Friday for a briefing on the implications of a number of the state budget’s provisions.

“We are informing everyone here of what we know to date,” Cieslewicz said. “We are looking at primarily the next biennial budget and trying to understand what is in it and what its implications are for our programs and our staff.”

City Council President Mark Clear said alders and city managers and employees needed to be “very active” in the political process and become “very innovative, very creative and very collaborative” to work with what comes down from the state.

He said though the exact impacts of the budget are not completely clear yet, the city’s leaders needed to be prepared to work together to manage any unexpected provisions of the budget and twist the impacts to allow Madison to still excel.

Still, city comptroller Dean Brasser said if the city wants to maintain its current levels of services, it would require a $22 million tax levy increase. He said this would place Madison $8.5 million above Walker’s levy limit outlined in the budget.

“We’ve already got an $8.5 million problem to deal with,” Brasser said. “A lot of formulas that distribute this adjustment are very complicated, and we don’t know what the new formulas are yet.”

Madison’s Capitol lobbyist Jeremy Shepard said the budget is 1,300 pages long and contains a large amount of information, but it was immediately clear that $1 billion in state aid to local governments would be cut if the budget passes as it is.

Shepard said the budget cuts county state aid by about $96 million in the 2012 calendar year and $60 million to the city, creating an 8.8 percent overall cut to Madison. Shepard also said the budget extends the levy limit by two years.

Shepard said Madison’s education systems would take a hit from the budget. Walker’s proposal eliminates the requirement for a pre-determined minimal school day requirement for public schools and effectively removes the mandate that school districts provide reading specialists on staff. Shepard said the budget cuts funding to the University of Wisconsin campus by 11 percent over two years and cuts $71.6 million in funding for the state’s technical college system.