Jesse Jackson urges high school students to stay involved, in school

In light of the Madison Metropolitan School District resuming classes following four consecutive teacher sick-outs, the Rev. Jesse Jackson preached to a crowd of students, teachers and parents at Madison East High School Tuesday to address the importance of education and actively participating in government.

Jackson began his visit with a march from the corner of First Street and East Mifflin Street with nearly 300 followers to the school’s parking lot, where he was met with an additional 500 supporters.

Officials at Madison East requested Jackson focus his speech on staying in school and graduating and that he finish the rally by 8:15 a.m. in order to allow classes to resume uninterrupted – the school opened its doors to students Tuesday for the first time since Feb. 16 because of excessive teacher absences.

Ken Syke, spokesperson for the Madison Metropolitan School District, said the high school had taken four days out of school between this week and last week because large numbers of staffers were calling in sick to participate in the protests against Gov. Scott Walker’s budget repair bill. Syke said the administration made it clear to Jackson’s organizers that it did not want the speech to impact the school day.

“We are able to go to school and study and protest at the same time,” Jackson said. “As you go back to school today, you must study diligently, study in earnestness. You have the right to pursue an education and fight for social justice.”

Jackson geared a portion of his message toward Madison East teachers, urging them to teach their students the value of work. He spoke of the struggles in the working class today, such as poverty and difficulty affording health insurance, encouraging the staff to increase students’ awareness of such issues.

Jackson told staff members to teach the students to have good minds, strong character, a work ethic, courage and faith. He said students need to learn how to make the nation a better nation.

“Everybody is somebody. Stop the violence. Save the children,” Jackson said. “We all have the right – the right to an education, the right to collectively bargain. We the people will fight for rights and justice and peace. Keep hope alive.”

The final portion of Jackson’s message stressed the importance of young voters in America. Jackson recalled that as recently as 1965, before the Voting Rights Act, 18-year-olds did not have the right to vote.

In ending his speech, Jackson encouraged all students eligible to vote in the April elections to join him on stage and pick up a voter registration form.

Madison East Principle Mary Kelley said it was the efforts of Madison Teachers Inc. that brought Jackson to the school.

“It all happened so quickly,” Kelley said. “The plans sort of came down yesterday afternoon, and we got the message out to students via Facebook last night.”

Kelley said the administration wanted to be sure all students came to school, so in addition to speaking before school, Jackson also gave the Madison East student body their morning announcements during their first period.

Despite the teach-outs scheduled for the University of Wisconsin campus, Kelley said all Madison East staff members were in attendance, Kelley said.

“It was wonderful to have a school full of students and teachers,” Kelley said.