Crime in Brief

STARKER AVENUE 

Burglary

Early Thursday morning, Madison Police officers responded to a home invasion on Starker Avenue on Madison’s east side.

When the residents woke up, they found their house had been broken into overnight, an MPD report said.

The family discovered the back door had been forced open. The intruders stole a purse, electronics and a set of car keys to the family’s vehicle, the report said.

The intruders stole the family’s 2001 Oldsmobile Alero, the report said.

NAKOOSA TRAIL 

Fraud

A number of local businesses recently reported receiving fraudulent $20 bills, all with the same serial number and series, an MPD report said.

The most recent incident, reported by the Wal-Mart on Nakoosa Trail, said a woman bought various inexpensive items from different registers using the fraudulent bills in order to get real bills back as change.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said employees working at local businesses should check the validity of bills, especially if they don’t look or feel right.

ATWOOD AVENUE

Battery

A mosh pit at an As I Lay Dying concert at the Barrymore Theater Wednesday night turned violent when a 21-year-old Madison man assaulted another concert-goer.

Steven Eberhardt of Madison reportedly punched a 24-year-old Fort Atkinson man repeatedly.

The victim said he did not know the man who hit him several times in the back of the head and in the face.

DeSpain said while these kinds of fights are common, not many incidents with mosh pits are reported.

SOUTH PARK STREET 

Disturbance

Following an appointment at Planned Parenthood Tuesday evening, a 21-year-old Fitchburg woman was threatened and assaulted by a stranger.

The victim said a stranger grabbed her into a chokehold and told her she “had better watch” what she does, an MPD report said.

When the victim screamed, a second stranger yelled out, scaring the attacker off, the report said.

The victim was not injured, and called police after driving home. The Planned Parenthood Clinic said they had not heard of any similar attacks.

SHERMAN AVENUE 

Theft 

An employee at the Northside Family Restaurant took action Wednesday to stop a customer from stealing a waitress’ purse.

The 24-year-old Madison man tackled the thief in the parking lot, allowing the waitress to retrieve her purse and call police as the suspect escaped, an MPD report said.

The report said the waitress and the cook described the getaway vehicle in enough detail for police to later locate the car and stop the vehicle’s passengers at gunpoint.