Parisi, Bruskewitz will face each other in April’s county executive election

daneco_MM
Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, says he thinks his primary victory is an important first step in challenging Gov. Scott Walker’s legislative agenda’s affect on the county.[/media-credit]

Two long-serving Dane County politicians from notably different political backgrounds will race against each other for the open county executive’s office, whittling the field of candidates from six to two.

State Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, and Sup. Eileen Bruskewitz, District 25, won Tuesday night’s primary with a combined total of just less than half of the vote throughout the county. They will face each other for the general election on April 5.

At press time, the Dane County Clerk’s office reported Parisi claimed 26 percent of the vote, while Bruskewitz took about 22 percent. Current County Board Chair Scott McDonell, District 1, placed third, with 20 percent of the vote.

At a celebration on Madison’s east side, Parisi said he believed his victory in the primary would lead him to the office to challenge Gov. Scott Walker, sometimes using his seat to combat what he called a “war on families” during a pivotal time in Wisconsin’s history.

He also said he believed the next seven weeks of the campaign will be as issue-based as the primary race.

“Our community sent a clear message they want strong, progressive leadership,” Parisi said. “[The primary race] was a race that Dane County deserved. I think everyone should be very proud of the election we had.”

Bruskewitz, a Dane County Supervisor from Waunakee, considered the most viable right-wing candidate in a race crowded with liberals, said she was pleased and grateful for her second-place finish.

“This election is about a beginning,” Bruskewitz said. “It is about the future, and I think with Joe Parisi as my opponent in this race, we’re going to have a clear difference. I think there’s going to be a good debate on the issues in the coming weeks.”

Bruskewitz has received the support of many downtown Madison property owners and conservatives throughout the county and has previously criticized the anti-Walker rhetoric of her opponents.

At several forums throughout the race, Bruskewitz said she would try work with Walker rather than challenge his administration to achieve funding or favors for Dane County.

Two other prominent candidates in the race, former Department of Commerce executive Zach Brandon and former Rep. Joe Wineke, D-Verona, won 11 percent and 18.5 percent of the vote, respectively.

After running on a platform of abolishing the office, local businessman Spencer Zimmerman received 619 total votes, or .9 percent.

McDonell, who fell short of Bruskewitz by approximately 2 percent of the vote, said he plans to continue serving as the County Board chair. He also said he will support Parisi in the general election.

“I did well on the west side but it just wasn’t enough county-wide,” McDonell said. “We share the same values…As County Board Chairman I’m going to work with [Parisi] – I’m sure he’ll be County Executive.”

Parisi and Bruskewitz will run to replace current County Executive Kathleen Falk, who has served since 1997. Falk announced her resignation from the office in October, shocking many in the county and setting up the special election.

While she has not yet made an endorsement in the race, Falk appeared at Parisi’s election night party and shares similar ideological beliefs.