Airborne art vendor laws considered

Following consistent community complaints, Madison artists who make a living from selling artwork produced through airborne materials like spray-paint may no longer be allowed to practice their work on public property.

Airborne art vendors may face new regulations banning the production of pieces that are spray-painted or airbrushed in order to avoid effects for bystanders who are often inadvertently impacted by vendors.

The Madison Vending Oversight Committee discussed on Wednesday the desire to make spray-painting, airbrushing and any other forms of airborne artwork illegal pending a vote at the committee’s next meeting on Feb. 23.

After a number of citizen complaints were filed with the committee, the group opened discussion about the hazardous effects the practice has on community members.

Although Warren Hansen, executive secretary and street vending coordinator, said there are only two vendors in Madison who sell spray painted artwork, the committee dubbed the disturbance prominent enough to warrant community discussion to outlaw the practice. Vendors span from Library Concourse to Camp Randall.

Several of the committee members double as vendors, and have empathized with the concerns about the airborne artwork brought before the board in the past. However, some members expressed apprehension for the consistent complaints.

In a preliminary, non-binding vote, the committee unanimously agreed on a desire to oust airborne art in public spaces.

“I feel like I need to be wearing a mask while I walk by [certain art vendors],” committee member Karen Foxgrover said.

If airborne art is outlawed, vendors would still be able to sell the artwork at their stands so long as the pieces are pre-prepared.

Hansen said he has no intentions of stifling the artists’ businesses or preventing them from doing what they are passionate about, but rather he said he takes concern with the effects of their work impacting bystanders.

“I want them to be able to sell their art, I just don’t want their fumes flying around the air,” Hansen said.

Teresa Schwerin, a committee technical advisor, said the fumes from the paint can accidentally damage private property close to the vending stations. She said her car was accidentally defaced while parked in the same parking lot as an airborne art vendor.

The committee will vote on the movement at their next meeting. The vote was delayed until all committee members can be present.