Crime in Brief

STATE STREET: Arrested Person

A 33-year-old McFarland man and his family were harassed after declining a State Street panhandler’s request for 38 cents Monday afternoon, according to a Madison police report.

Amen Toomey was reportedly intoxicated and attempted to instigate a fight and called the women accompanying the victim a derogatory word, the report said. After following the family for a few blocks, Toomey “backed off” as the victim called police.

Toomey resisted arrested, broke an officer’s finger and was placed in a squad car, the report said. He then kicked one of the car’s rear doors causing it to bend.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said while Toomey’s case was more extreme, police are continually working to remove unruly panhandlers from the state street area.

“We want people to tell us if they’re being hassled,” DeSpain said. “We’ll then ask the court commissioner to put these people on the State Street ban list.”

MILWAUKEE AREA: Lewd and Lascivious Behavior

WHITEFISH BAY (AP) – A Wisconsin mailman created a new meaning for the words “stress relief” as he attempted to cheer a woman up by delivering her mail in the nude, according to the police report.

The 52-year-old man devised the plan to make the woman, whom he delivered mail to daily, laugh after he noticed she seemed “stressed out”. Upon reflection, the postal carrier said it was probably a bad idea to deliver mail completely nude.

The man was arrested days later for lewd behavior and confessed the stunt was “a stupid thing to do.”

WEST JOHNSON STREET: Person Down

A roommate brouhaha went awry Monday night after a fight escalated and one man called the police. His roommate then tried to flee by jumping from the roof of the building, according to a Madison police report.

Madison man Jeremy Gillard, 28, suffered a broken leg and was taken to a local hospital after he was found on a concrete ramp, the report said. Gillard knocked his roommate’s flat screen TV to the floor. The victim was angered but called police instead of initiating a fight.

DeSpain said he had never before seen a person jump from the roof of a building to escape police. He added Gillard’s roommate did the right thing by calling police instead of instigating a physical fight.

The report added Gillard smelled strongly of intoxicants.

OLD GATES ROAD: Weapons Violation

A group of Madison teens’ use of hallucinogenic drugs took a dangerous turn late Monday night as one teen began acting “crazy” and ended up stabbing two of his friends.

The friends “took a hit of acid” and drove around to look at Christmas lights, according to a MPD report.

Phillip Greene reportedly took multiple hits. After settling down at one of the victims’ home, Greene began to escalate and grabbed knives from the kitchen. Fearing Greene’s safety, two of the teens rushed to him but ended up in a struggle.

Greene then stabbed his female friend in the stomach and his male friend in the back, the report said. Green was found outside the home on the street and begged police to shoot him. Police deployed a Taser instead.

The victims suffered non life-threatening injuries.

OAKBRIDGE AVENUE: Fraud

In an attempt to warn fellow citizens, an 86-year-old Madison woman told police she had received several “annoying phone calls” that she recognized as scams.

According to the police report, the victim said while she can easily identify “a flim-flam man,” she was worried others may fall victim to similar schemes.

The most recent call occurred Friday afternoon when a man claimed he worked with the “International Lottery” and told the victim she had won a large amount of money, the report said. The victim told the man to leave her be, remove her phone number from the list and hung up the phone.

SEMINOLE HIGHWAY: Weapons Violation

A 38-year-old man with no permanent address called police last Thursday, saying he believed a gun was fired in a car driving next to him on the highway, according to a Madison police report.

The man said a white car with tinted windows appeared next to him. The report said he told police he saw the flash of gunfire but did not see any actual gun.

However, police were unable to find any evidence of shell casings and the man’s car was not hit.