Robbery suspect killed in police-involved shooting

The actions of a Monona Police officer are under investigation after police confirmed Thursday afternoon the suspect in a Madison area kidnapping and robbery was shot and killed by police at the University of Wisconsin Credit Union’s Monona branch.

Acting Dane County Coroner Barry Irmen said the suspect in the kidnapping, 30-year-old Madison man Daniel Thomas, was pronounced dead in a Med Flight helicopter bound for UW Hospital shortly after the shooting.

The shooting was the culmination of a crime spree which began in Madison and ended in Monona.

According to Madison Police Chief Noble Wray, Thomas invaded the home of a 63-year-old Madison man Wednesday afternoon.

Wray said Thomas knocked on the victim’s door and proceeded to tie the victim up in his basement, who was unable to escape, as he robbed the home of a variety of valuables including jewelry and electronics.

Thomas then left the home. When the victim heard what seemed to be another person entering the home, he cried for help from the basement, only to find the suspect walking down the stairs to kidnap him, Wray said.

Monona Police Chief Walter Ostrenga said Thomas then took the victim to the Monona branch of the UW Credit Union, driving the victims car with the victim sitting in the passenger seat.

When a bank teller recognized the victim and did not recognize Thomas, she realized the victim was distressed. Ostrenga said she attempted to stall Thomas as her manager called police, who arrived within four minutes.

The victim was able to escape his vehicle and reach safety. When police cornered Thomas, he “gunned” the vehicle in reverse, striking one of the Monona squad cars.

The victim indicated to police Thomas had a gun, and one Monona officer then opened fire on Thomas. That officer is under investigation by the office of Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne, who responded on the scene, Wray said.

Ostrenga praised two of the Monona officers involved in the UW Credit Union incident and specifically singled out the teller for her heroics.

“If [the teller] had not recognized the stress the subject was under, who knows what might have happened to him,” he said.