Mayor, officials unsure of development future after high-speed rail announcement

MayorDave_LK
Mayor Cieslewicz and other officials say Scott Walker totally at fault for Wisconson’s loss of money and the jobs that come with it.[/media-credit]

Multiple Madison officials said they were angry and unsure of the future of downtown Madison’s economic development after the federal government’s announcement Wisconsin’s high-speed rail funds have been canceled.

Because of Washington’s decision to send the approximately $810 million in federal funds to other states, officials said the future of a plan to include a permanent public market at the location of downtown’s Government East parking ramp is currently unknown.

Under the current proposal, the high-speed rail station would have been located across the street from the Government East ramp at the Wisconsin Department of Administration Building on West Wilson Street. The tracks for the station would have extended under Monona Terrace with an extra set of tracks for passing freight traffic.

However, Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said the fate of the public market and a possible hotel at the location of the now-unnecessary station has not been determined and added it will likely take many years until high-speed rail again becomes likely in Wisconsin.

Downtown Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he believes the decision could most jeopardize the plan to build the new hotel, but is also unsure on the status of the public market.

Verveer said interest from Milwaukee-based developer Marcus Company, considered to be a candidate to work with the city on the new hotel, has declined since it became apparent the completion of the line was not likely. However, he said the replacement of the Government East ramp is still highly likely.

“That opportunity may not present itself now,” Verveer said. “It’s not a matter of if but when we replace the Government East parking garage.”

At a press conference Thursday, Cieslewicz said he believed Walker was solely responsible for the loss of the rail funds, which he said would have provided great economic benefit to Madison and the surrounding area.

Cieslewicz, along with Dane County Board of Supervisors Chairman Scott McDonell and Downtown Madison, Inc. President Susan Schmitz, repeatedly called yesterday a “black day” because of the announcement. He said unemployed laborers who could have found jobs through the project have lost that opportunity because of Walker’s insistence on rejecting the money.

“The five thousand construction workers… have Scott Walker to thank for their continued unemployment,” Cieslewicz said. “[Walker] has killed thousands of good-paying jobs before even taking office and it won’t stop here.”

Cieslewicz said he tried reaching out to Walker several times with a congratulatory telephone call and several follow-ups regarding high-speed rail, but was mostly left with what he called a “blank wall.” Walker spokesperson Cullen Werwie declined to directly respond to Cieslewicz’s claims.

In addition to Cieslewicz, McDonell said the line would have allowed freight to move more freely between Madison, Milwaukee and other major cities in the Midwest the line would have connected.

“This is a swift kick in the gut for Wisconsin,” McDonell said. “It just boggles my mind… the potential to move freight on this line is just so great.”

In addition to government officials, Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Chair Sam Polstein said he believed the decision was a loss for students.

“It really sucks,” Polstein said. “It should have been a really great opportunity.”