Kidnapping results in shooting of man at Monona UW Credit Union

monona_MM
The UW Credit Union in Monona, adjacent to the Pier 39 shopping center, was the site of a shooting Wednesday, after a man took a victim hostage to access his account, then was shot after crashing into a police squad car.[/media-credit]

MONONA – A shooting at a branch of the University of Wisconsin Credit Union left a major street closed to traffic and one person in the hospital Wednesday afternoon.

The shooting occurred near the credit union’s Monona branch adjacent to the Pier 39 shopping center immediately off the Beltline Highway. Police said the victim of the shooting, a suspect in a robbery and kidnapping in the Madison area that happened earlier on Wednesday, crashed his vehicle into a police squad car prior to being shot.

Police say the suspect in the case, who was airlifted to UW Hospital, was attempting to rob the bank account of a hostage he had taken earlier in the day, leading him to the Monona branch’s drive-thru teller.

Cops closed the location into the evening hours of Wednesday for further investigation inside and outside the building. Police also said only the suspect needed to be transported to the hospital because of the incident.

It wasn’t immediately clear if police shot the suspect, but officers did recover a gun from the suspect’s vehicle.

For several hours Wednesday night, Madison, Monona and Dane County cops blocked access to several blocks of Broadway near Madison’s southeast side after the shooting.

Traffic entering and departing the shopping center were permitted, but approximately 10 squad cars, most of them MPD vehicles, blocked the road for a stretch of roughly half a mile.

A statement from the UW Credit Union said the Monona branch was closed the remainder of the day for police investigation.

– The Associated Press contributed to this report.