Edgewater project continues struggle in city

The plan to redevelop Madison’s famed Edgewater Hotel continued to face obstacles in city government Monday evening when members of a city commission voted to postpone any further action on the project.

In a last minute addition to the agenda, members of Madison’s Plan Commission unanimously decided to refer the discussion of the Edgewater Hotel redevelopment to a later date.

The proposal will now be considered at a Jan. 10 meeting for approval.

Community members living in the areas surrounding the Edgewater said they were not being adequately considered during negotiations.

The commission added the Edgewater discussion to the meeting’s agenda on short notice, which was a problem for many concerned residents. Community members also reported problems with the city’s agenda system prior to the meeting.

One of the neighborhoods near Edgewater, Mansion Hill, will hold a meeting with its residents tonight to discuss concerns with the redevelopment. Neighborhood residents urged the commission to refer their decision to a later date.

Former City Council member and prominent Madison blogger Brenda Konkel said the process used throughout the negotiations with both Edgewater and the debt restructuring at the Overture Center for the Arts offended her.

“The public trust on the Edgewater process has been eroded to a great extent,” Konkel said. “The trust level around this issue has really worn out the community.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, and Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, also both said the commission should refer their decision to a later meeting.

“There is no rush in this whatsoever,” Verveer said. “We’re up here wasting our time on Edgewater when there’s no need to do that tonight.”

Maniaci said the agenda amendment confusion was a miscommunication among staff, alders and other parties. She added she never intended for referral to be removed from the agenda.

Members also unanimously moved to request specifications about Edgewater’s usage and restrictions about lighting and noise.

Residents in the area said the noise level of events held at Edgewater could lower their standard of living. Weddings that feature rock bands or fireworks over the lake could potentially be a problem for community members.

The commission also reviewed the city’s proposed Downtown Plan. Members discussed a proposal placing higher density development on West Washington Avenue and smaller, residential development on West Mifflin Street.

Commission members focused on an initiative to bring more families to the downtown, so children as well as adults can enjoy all the area has to offer.

Commission member Judy Olson said more emphasis was needed on getting families downtown, and cited Vancouver as an example of a city that incorporates people of all ages in their downtown development.

“They’ve managed to create a downtown attractive to families with kids by requiring areas for play-sets and considerations for families,” Olson said. “We have a wonderful downtown; I think it could be enjoyed by kids as well as adults.”

Commission member Tim Gruber added a grid system might be easier for the future of transportation downtown. He added this would help maintain Madison’s model of sustainability.

“It makes getting where you’re going easier,” Gruber said. “Hopefully we can embrace the grid system for better connectivity.”