Alders work to move Overture plan ahead

The negotiations surrounding the future of the Overture Center for the Arts are coming down to the wire in a series of last minute meetings, including a meeting of a brain trust of individuals from a number of contributing organizations.

Representatives from the fundraising group 201 State Foundation and the governing board Madison Cultural Arts District Board met Monday night to continue development of a proposal for the City Council to vote on at their next meeting.

The meeting was conducted in closed session and aimed to further progress toward a new financial model for Overture. An open meeting to discuss the future will be held Tuesday.

The previously accepted focus model would allow the City of Madison to purchase Overture for $1 and control up to $800,000 in operating costs while a private foundation would manage the business aspects.

Recently, this model has been rejected in favor of a privately owned, privately operated model by the recommendation of newly hired consultant Dr. James Undercofler.

The City Council is currently in recess, and discussion about the Overture Model is still open and will reconvene at the next meeting Dec. 14. A decision needs to be reached by the end of this year, or Overture could go dark.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said although the City Council is under pressure to reach a decision in one week, it is working hard to meet its deadline.

“It’s too much of a resource to let it go dark,” Verveer said. “The possibility of it going dark is scary.”

While specifics of this meeting could not be discussed, Verveer said he thinks they are making progress.

“We’ve talked for multiple hours in the last three days,” Verveer added.

Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, also spoke to the thorough considerations of the City Council.

“I believe the council members have been working diligently to create options to go forward,” Maniaci said. “Negotiating is still underway.”

Verveer added he hopes the group will all agree on something that will be voted on by City Council.

“I’m optimistic there will be a package to vote on. Will everyone be happy? Absolutely not. But that’s compromise,” Verveer said.