New Overture ‘Plan B’ approved at board

With the deadline for the long-running Overture Center for the Arts debate fast approaching, the city’s Board of Estimates began a reconsideration of the current model that would give the city ownership of the facility.

Last week, Madison’s Common Council Organizational Committee agreed to open the model for changes from the original focus model, setting the stage for the Board of Estimates, the city’s main economic decision-making body, to address the new proposal.

The originally proposed focus model would allow the city to buy Overture for $1 and handle its operating costs, while a private foundation would run the other aspects of the business.

However, this controversial public-private operation plan could be replaced with a new private-private operation plan, which would allow the city to get out of a large taxpayer commitment.

Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, said Overture was to blame for their situation.

“[Former Madison Mayor Paul Soglin] said we destroyed Overture,” Bruer said. “No, Overture destroyed itself.”

Bruer added the Overture officials have not been transparent with their proceedings by holding a number of closed meetings, which have excluded taxpayers and the arts community.

“It continues to be one skeleton after another falling out of the closet,” Bruer said. “They have not been forthcoming.”

The new model would reduce the burden of Overture on taxpayers, though board members still asked for clarification of language.

Ald. Jed Sanborn, District 1, said he was concerned about the wording of the plan tying the city into maintaining Overture’s current subsidy. He said the long-term goal is to phase the subsidy out.

“The language of the agreement keeps the city strongly connected to the budget of the operation. I would love to see some language that would put us on a path to getting out of this commitment,” Sanborn said.

Board members also discussed the new plan and changes that need to be made before the new model can be accepted.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he could live with the private-private operation model, but not without some amendments.

“I hope that between now and Nov. 30 we can get to a place where I can support the future of the Overture,” Verveer said.

Additionally, Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, also said the plan needed work and that she was not comfortable voting for what was before the board.

Rhodes-Conway said her two biggest issues with the new plan were managing employees and preventing Overture from falling into a similar situation again.

She said if a plan was not undertaken, the board would be in the same place in two or three years determining the future of Overture.

“I want to get out of recurring crisis mode,” Rhodes-Conway said. “I’m not sure if either of the options before us do this.”

Ald. Joseph Clausius, District 17, also said he expected to see some creative amendments to the plan for City Council.

The board voted to recommend adoption of the new plan with some amendments. There will be continued discussion of Overture’s future at the City Council’s Nov. 30 meeting.