Falk will likely step down in December to allow April election

After announcing her resignation more than a month ago, County Executive Kathleen Falk promised Friday she will leave office in a way that would not require the added expense of a special election.

On Oct. 4, Falk said she would leave her position in April so the seat could appear on the ballot for the April 2011 election.

Falk formulated her initial resignation plan under the legal advice of county officials. Falk initially thought she would have to submit a letter of resignation by Dec. 28 in order to step down in the spring.

However, Falk is reconsidering her route of resignation after further review showed leaving office in April might require a $300,000 special election, said hr chief of staff, Topf Wells.

Wells said if Falk has to change her original plan, she pledges to do so in a way that will not place the burden of a special election on taxpayers.

“[Falk’s] fundamental commitment is whatever that next step is, it will not require a special election,” said Falk spokersperson Josh Wescott. “We will build up from there and weigh the alternatives to reach the best option.”

Some potential options for Falk include resigning on or before Dec. 28 or asking the Government Accountability Board to formally review the situation, Wells said.

The GAB would offer their interpretation of state statutes, Westcott said. The board would suggest the legally appropriate resignation route for Falk to steer clear of a special election.

Wells said another resignation option would entail County Board Chair Scott McDonell appointing her to serve until April at which point she would resign around the regularly scheduled election.

Wells said Falk thinks the situation may be attracting more attention than it warrants.

“She sees this promise as simply repeating what she’s been saying since her first announcement [of resignation],” Wells said.

Falk plans to work with individuals who specialize in election law to help her decision making process, Wells said. He said Falk would also talk to the County Board chair about her different options.

Upon hearing the news of Falk’s promise to avoid a special election, Dane County Supervisor Eileen Bruskewitz, District 25, said she was pleasantly surprised.

Bruskewitz said she hopes the seat would be on the April election ticket because the process of replacing Falk would be more orderly and expected.

“The seat needs to be vacated so I think the very best thing that could happen is she follows the law,” Bruskewitz said.

Bruskewitz said she is “strongly considering” running for executive. She said she hopes Falk resigns in manner that gives her and others enough time to prepare for a primary.

After months of intensive work on the county budget, Wells said Falk can now devote her attention to the circumstances of her resignation. He added the situation warrants some serious thought and discussion before making any further decisions.

“There was sort of a dead silence after the initial [resignation] announcement,” Bruskewitz said. “What date will Falk resign? That’s the big question. That’s what really means a lot to potential candidates.”

Although McDonell is the only candidate who has officially announced his candidacy to replace Falk, Bruskewitz, Rep. Brett Davis, R-Oregon and Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison are often mentioned as possible challengers.