City gets $2.4 million for green jobs

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced Friday the city earned grants to fund energy efficiency programs for 15 small businesses across the city.

The federal grants totaled $2.4 million and afford local businesses the opportunity to implement energy efficiency improvements of their own, said Rachel Strauch-Nelson, spokesperson for Cieslewiscz.

“The grant helps companies save on energy bills and cut down on their carbon footprints,” Strauch-Nelson said.

The Urban League of Greater Madison helped garner the grant as part of their green jobs training program, according to Strauch-Nelson. The program trains unemployed or underemployed residents and places them into jobs at completion.

“[The grant] has enabled us to partner with effective organizations and provide training to underemployed adults that will put them on the cutting edge of construction innovation,” Kaleem Caire, CEO of the Urban League of Greater Madison said in the statement.

Caire said in the statement the grants specifically enable the Urban League to partner with effective organizations and train its program’s participants to develop skills to be on the cutting edge of construction innovation.

The program currently works with 18 trainees and develops their green job skills, the statement said. The training program lasts until the summer of 2011. After completion, the Urban League will work with Project Home and the START Program to place the graduated trainees into jobs around the city.

Strauch-Nelson said some the program’s trainees are currently working at the Northport Commons construction site. Cieslewicz joined the Northport Commons group Friday afternoon to announce the grants because the Urban League played a significant role in achieving federal funds, she said.

Strauch-Nelson said other businesses receiving funding include the Madison Children’s Museum and the Salvation Army.

“The funding is helping a diverse range of organizations in our community implement energy efficiency improvements and put people to work in the process,” Cieslewicz said in the statement.

The city will also launch a residential home weatherization pilot program with the grant money, the statement said. The program will allow residents to embrace the green movement by helping homeowners improve energy efficiency in their homes.