Crime in Brief

Update

Home Invasion Arrests

Two suspects who remained at large after the Sept. 22 home invasion were arrested Friday morning, a Madison police report said.

Seventeen-year-old Conner Matel was arrested at Verona High School and Kyler O’Neil, also 17, was arrested at his Fitchburg home for allegedly breaking into an apartment on East Gorham Street with clubs in hand.

The two recent arrests accompany the initial two arrests made on Sept. 22, the updated report said.

The report said the 22-year-old victim was struck with the weapons and suffered minor injuries. The robbers stole money and video games.

Robbery

South Park Street

A 19-year-old woman was robbed early Friday morning as she was entering the Open Pantry where she works, a Madison police report said.

The male suspect approached the victim from behind and was allegedly armed with a handgun, the report said. He then forced her inside, tied her up and proceeded to steal cigarettes and cash.

The investigation is ongoing and the suspect is still at large after fleeing from the store by foot, according to the report.

Pedestrian Struck

West Gilman Street

A 19-year-old Madison man was hit by a car in Downtown Madison early Friday morning while trying to rush across the street to greet some friends.

According to MPD’s report, the man was cited for sudden pedestrian movement for running into traffic. The report added he suffered a broken leg and the driver of the car was not cited.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he was surprised because accidents like these tend to occur on more heavily traveled streets where speeding is more likely.

“You don’t hear about these accidents in the downtown campus area very often at all,” Verveer said. “However, pedestrian safety is more of an issue in the late night hours.”

Fraud

Valley Road

A Madison police report said two individuals attempted to scam an 84-year-old Madison woman by claiming she won money from publisher’s clearing house and needed to pay a $3,000 fee to claim her winnings.

The man told the victim the prize money was being sent from Costa Rica. After a series of phone calls made by the suspects to convince the victim of her winnings, the victim called her son who then called the FBI. The FBI agent said it was fraud, the report said.

When the man called her back, the victim said the FBI told her the situation was a scam and the crook proceeded to threaten her, the report said. Police reassured the victim the scammers tend to call from far away and she was in no danger.