Overture model moves onto city council

After a seven-week sprint of uncertainty, the Overture Ad Hoc Committee voted to endorse a public-private model with additional recommendations to City Council.

The committee’s final decision – passed in a 6-3 vote – supported a model based on public ownership with a private non-profit operator.

The language also included six accompanying recommendations passed unanimously in previous meetings and include soliciting professionals to assess the financial and architectural aspects of Overture. The professionals would act as consultants to help the city and the operator’s decision making for the future.

Along with expert advisers, the committee recommended the non-profit operating board should include individuals with varying performing arts backgrounds to reflect Madison’s diversity and engage the community.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said the board has asked tough, thoughtful questions in working to reach a recommendation.

“I would like something we believe is likely to be successful and I think that’s the most [the city] can ask for,” Cieslewicz said at the start of the meeting.

Under a pressured timeline, Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, said he was bothered by the lack of alternative explorations of other potential overture models.

“My frustration is we’ve only had one model to focus on and we’ve had to do it at record speed,” Bruer said. “It would not make sense for the city to absorb this plan to a certain degree because we’re assuming the taxpayer with all these uncertainties and likely additional costs.”

Differing opinions of a new Overture model’s personnel comprised a significant portion of the debate.

Committee members considered potential operating board make-ups along with the fate of Overture’s current employees until ultimately deciding to table the issues.

Committee Chair Mark Bugher said he felt the board lacked time and expertise to deal with complicated personnel issues. He said they should only recommend a structure to the city and let professionals negotiate the transition’s affect on employees.

Former Madison Mayor Paul Soglin said his concern with the new model was the potential loss of retirement funds by the switch to a private employer.

Soglin said he was comfortable with the recommendations the group made but he believes the focus model will ultimately fail.

“The problem is the final amendment will send a message to supporters of the focus model that they’re in better shape than they really are,” Soglin said. “They’ll be less inclined to make adjustments and [the model] will be defeated.”

Local labor representative Larry Rodenstein said Overture employees are concerned family-sustaining jobs would be lost by changing many full time positions to temporary jobs.

Committee member Warren Onkin said he has faith in the city to create an employment solution that works. He added with all of the focus model’s nuances, the City Council has a tough decision ahead.

Although the committee recommended the model, many members of the City Council have said it is unlikely they will vote for the recommendation when it comes to the council within the next month.

Bugher said he believes the committee fulfilled its goal of providing the City Council with significant parameters to consider.

“They may not agree with what we’ve recommended but at least we’ve done what they asked us to do,” Bugher said.