Brittany Zimmermann 5K run-walk attracts ‘fantastic’ turnout

zimmerman_AH
Zimmermann 5K winner UW medical student Jake Flynn shakes hands with Brittany’s father after the race.[/media-credit]

Hundreds gathered at Library Mall Saturday morning for the inaugural 5K Memorial Walk/Run honoring Brittany Zimmermann, the UW student who was murdered in her West Doty Street Apartment in 2008.

The event was held in conjunction with Crime Stoppers of Madison. Runners paid a $20 to $25 fee to participate. The proceeds were split to aid funding for Crime Stoppers and the ongoing investigation into Zimmermann’s death.

Around 400 people moved through the crisp fall weather in honor of Zimmermann’s memory and to raise crime awareness, said UW Police officer Erik Pearce.

“The turnout was fantastic today, especially for a first year event,” Pearce said. “We thought a successful race would be 100 to 200 participants considering that there’s three or four other established 5K runs occurring on the same day.”

Pearce said the race is going to be an annual event to grant Brittany Zimmermann a legacy and to remind students safety concerns on campus are ever-present. He said the eventual goal is to create a strong connection between Zimmermann’s name and crime prevention.

Pearce described the event as healing. He said Zimmermann’s case was one of the most horrific murders in Madison and delivered a significant blow to the downtown community. He added the event was created in part to keep her memory alive for years to come.

Zimmermann’s mother, father and brother welcomed the crowd of racers. As participants crossed the finish line, Zimmermann’s parents stood waiting to shake hands and offer their gratitude.

“This race means a lot to my family because we want people to remember what happened,” said Brittany’s mother, Jean Zimmermann. “I think Brittany’s looking down and she can’t even believe it. I bet she’s in awe that people would come out and race for her.”

Pearce said the donations for Zimmermann’s investigation would enhance current reward funds and hopefully encourage people to step forward with new information.

Along with raising money for her daughter’s investigation, Zimmermann said she hoped the race would remind students to always be aware and safe in making decisions.

Janesville resident Jake Flynn finished in first place and said he learned of the race through the Berkeley Running Company. He asked the company about the various charity races on Saturday and was drawn to Zimmermann’s story.

“It was an easy choice,” Flynn said. “The story was incredibly moving. I can’t imagine how hard it hit the Zimmermann family and the Madison community.”

Flynn said he felt honored to meet the Zimmermann family and shake their hands at the finish line. He added the event’s enthusiasm pleasantly surprised him when fellow runners and volunteers loudly cheered for him throughout the race.